Friday 12th April 2024

yorick

Apprentice
That was an exciting day’s racing, wasn’t it?

You know me. I’m a chasing man, myself and, as such, I have to say that the race I’ve eagerly awaited, perhaps more than any other this season, is the Topham Trophy.
I’ve followed Lounge Lizard from his very earliest days as a chaser and ever since he ran in the 3m 2f Becher earlier this season, the Topham looked to be the race for him. He took to the national fences like a duck to water and it was clear when he weakened that day, after being up there and jumping like a stag, that the Topham trip would be right up his alley.
Alas, I’m afraid the going has done for him and he’s now a non-runner. Never mind. It will be, for me, the race of the day anyway. Strange, really, since these fences cast a lottery tint over deliberations and it’s madness, in a way, as far as predicting the winner goes but I do love the spectacle.
My philosophy, however, will, mainly, be centred around those that have experience of the race itself or, at least, those who have experience of the obstacles. That being so, I have a couple in mind that fit the bill in that respect and one more whose trainer knows what’s needed to win such a race.
The first two are:

Celebre D’Allen 33/1 Ew
Frero Banbou 16/1 Ew

Both have jumped the course before. Celebre D’Allen also ran in that Becher chase and also weakened but finished in front of Lounge Lizard, giving him 4Lbs. He also ran in the Topham last year, where he came 8th to Bill Baxter after having been hampered by a faller, losing ground but rallying too late to trouble the principles. He’s back again, has won on the heavy and is well worth a look ew at that price.

Frero Banbou ran over the course and distance in November last and he looks weighted to give a good account of himself, two pounds lower here. He’s won on the heavy, too.
I know it’s folly but I’ll add a third in the shape of Richmond Lake. I’ve liked the cut of his jib as a chaser and he’s trained by Mr McCain, who certainly knows what’s needed over the National fences. At 20/1 he’ll be worth an ew peep too.

As far as the rest of the card goes, I’ll have a little ew Lucky 15 to include three of the hurdle races: a discipline, I’ll admit, that is not my forte by any means. Still, I’ll watch them and have a little interest, for the sport.

Broadway Boy 1.45 10/1 Ew
I think there are questions to be answered in terms of true staying ability in this race. I’m not at all convinced that Iroko needs this trip. It should be remembered, too, that Inothewayurthinkin won a handicap last time out but this time is dining at the top table. Jumping – wise, Chianti Classico is the real deal but he’ll be vulnerable to the ‘Cheltenham bounce’ here. Broadway Bob is very lightly raced this season and has the first-time pieces. In the circumstances he looks the best value
Making Headway 2.20 13/2
The Jukebox Man 4.40 0/30

Again, staying is the name of the game and for me it’s between this one and Kyntara.

Densworth 5.15 15/2

Finally, to complete my Friday card, I’ll have:

Protektorat 3.30 0/30. Win
Does Jonbon do this trip? Not in my book.
Mistergif 2.55 12/1 Ew

As might be predicted, my hurdle eyes were off, with only The Jukebox Man putting up any kind of show. The other timber merchants blowing out. no complaints with Protektorat, beaten fair and square, perhaps just ungilded a little by he 'Cheltenham Bounce'.

For me, the Topham was the highlight. Not only for the fantastic spectacle and finish but also because Celebre Allen ran such a corker, only just failing but placed at 33/1. Result of the day for me and some small recompense for the withdrawal of Lounge Lizard.

Back