"Loaded fries"

Ian_Davies

Apprentice
One of the great modern rip-offs - a load of (cheap as) chips with a mere slither of actual supposed main-course as a topping.

Zero remorse if I've mentioned this before as this needs to be a priority for this new Labour government and I cannot for the life of me understand why it wasn't in Starmer's manifesto.

Proper main-course portions on the chips - for me, anyway! - thank you for reading!

The phrase 'cheap as chips' really annoys me.

Has anyone who ever says this actually bought chips in the last 30 years?

They are extortionate.

For the first time in a few years, on Friday evening. I went to the chippy + bought fish n chips. £12.50. Reckon it will be a while before that happens again.

For the first time in a few years, on Friday evening. I went to the chippy + bought fish n chips. £12.50. Reckon it will be a while before that happens again.

Yes, for years our Friday teatime staple was a 'special (breaded) fish supper' from the local chippy. It was £5.20 or so for a very large haddock fillet which we shared and the chips were enough for two. Within a week of the Brexit vote it was £5.70 and went up 50p every six months or so. In 2020 we moved to temporary accommodation in the south side of Glasgow while our new house was being built. There were five chippies within a mile radius (and not one sold deep fried Mars Bars before anyone asks...) and the most we paid was £5.80 for two [smaller] pieces of fish and loads of chips. So by this point we're assuming the previous chippy was just at it.

When we returned to the village in 2022 I got a shock when I was charged £8.20 and decided one such indulgence every six months or so was enough and started using a different chippy which was a wee bit cheaper; maybe not quite as good but the price difference was enough to justify the switch. A couple of weeks back we were out and returned mid-evening, by which time the alternative chippy was shut, so went to the other one. It was £11.80. I won't be back.

There's more than inflation going on there, especially when potatoes dropped in price for a good while during those years.

Our local chippy put prices up several times since truss dive bombed the economy and Ukraine got invaded but every time they explained the reasons behind it (rising cost of fish and electricity). It's roughly £11 now for a huge bit of fish and well worth it or £7.80 for a small fish supper.

For DOs benefit - it is Rollo in lesmahagow, worth a wee visit next time you fancy one.

My issue with fish and chip shops is I have never liked fish and chips - I always go for another option, quarter chicken, pie, battered burger and battered sausage in my youth and I go like chip shop gravy and curry sauce.

A chippy tea for two, delivered via Uber, will thieve the best part of 30 notes from my virtual wallet in “that there London”.
These what used to be weekly treats, are now very occasional. A Fri fish tea, Saturday morning fry up, a pub Sunday roast.
Cost of these 3, have shot up alarmingly lately.

My issue with fish and chip shops is I have never liked fish and chips - I always go for another option, quarter chicken, pie, battered burger and battered sausage in my youth and I go like chip shop gravy and curry sauce.

Yes, I love a special fish supper but the price has pissed me off.

Last week I went instead for a black pudding supper from the other chippy. £5 and there was easily enough in it for both of us.

For those up here who know of Nardini's (very famous for their ice cream) in Largs, be careful with the Seniors' Fish Tea.

We used to go there now and again for a Sunday treat. It was something like £7.95 for fish, chips, salad or mushy peas, tartare sauce, bread & butter and tea. The other week we went back for the first time since COVID. I was expecting a price rise but it was up to something like £12.95.

However, the old serving was a half-fillet and a modest portion of chips. This time it was a full fillet and a large portion of chips, so, in effect, value for money compared with the local chippy. (Then again, it's three hours on the road and two gallons of petrol to get there and back.)

There was a time I could eat for Scotland but not any more. A modest plateful, especially at lunchtime is plenty (since I'll want to sleep afterwards) so I found the serving too much, leaving half the chips (so unlike me). But if you have a big appetite and are down that way then it's an option, assuming you qualify age-wise. I'd been ordering since I turned 60 but have never been asked for proof of age.

I love chips + curry sauce !
Strangely though, I prefer this from a Chinese takeaway.
Same here!

There is something a bit different about chips from a "Chinese chippy" - maybe the oil they cook them in? - ditto their take on chip shop curry sauce and curry sauce generally.

I really want a deep-fried Mars bar now and my prospects of obtaining one in Hampshire this evening (or any evening) are frankly bleak.

Once again, The Devil vomits in my kettle - FML!

When I worked in a restaurant... I use the word worked lightly... We use to get one of the chefs to deep fry chocolate for us. Really nice but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with sensitive teeth

Back