Waitrose Tiramisu

Waitrose were out of Béarnaise sauce yesterday, so I had to make do with Peppercorn sauce (admittedly just as nice) instead.

Few appreciate the hardships I cheerfully endure in stoic silence.

Thought I'd piggy back this thread for a wee rant of my own.

At uni I pretty much survived on pork pie salads from the refectory and the love affair continued with them for many years.

Somewhere along the way I graduated to Gala/Grosvenor pie and would just about murder my granny for some of it.

However, the humble pork pie has been usurped by midget versions of same which are 90% crust so I haven't had one for many years and it seems you just can't get Gala/Grosvenor pie anywhere.

Cold pork pie or Gala/Grosvenor pie with cold baked beans... can't get enough of the stuff. But just can't get any anywhere these days.

It's a bit far, but if you ever take a trip down to the solway coast, the Paul Jones bakery in Kirkcudbright does an amazing pork pie.

Would recommend the area for a visit anyway, we go down regularly.

Love Kirkcudbright. I used to work in the Cally Hotel (now the Cally Palace) in Gatehouse of Fleet when a student - wonderful time, the stories I could tell... - and used to visit Kircudbright now and again. Was down there just a few years ago, just before Covid, and Mrs O is always nagging me to pay the town another visit.

(Whether she would come with me is another matter...)

AD18B46B-6D32-422C-88E0-EA763E35DBF6.jpeg
Not a pork pie but my first attempt a few years ago at a chicken and ham pie. I made it for a picnic lunch after the first lockdown as it was my brothers birthday and he’d had Covid (only member of our family at the time to get it) and had lost two stone so I thought he needed feeding up. It was pretty huge but ate very well over several days.
860970F5-506D-4145-8C41-DC5499567AEF.jpeg

Back