3:10 Cheltenham

Simon

At the Start
I can't make my mind up about this race. I like General Miller a lot but he's only been running at 2m, so can he stay 2m5f on Soft Ground at Cheltenham? He has speed, but does he have the stamina. He beat Ghizao which is a very good performance but it's hard to say if he'll stay. Restless Harry was second to Reve De Sivola in the Challow and looks a good horse who will like conditions but will he be a bit one paced and lack the speed to win this? Royal Charm has been impressive on Heavy ground so will like conditions but will he stay. Like General Miller he's only raced over 2m. Fiulin is rated highly by his yard and will stay, but how will he act on the ground? Essentially you're backing his reputation, and I don't like to do that.

I just don't know what to think. So, any thoughts?

Providing it's on, of course :confused:

You're probably right, Colin, but I am very tempted by this General Miller but can't really seem to justify it.

I'd imagine most of those going up in trip at this stage are doing so because connections feel they will be better for it, that running them over shorter was just to tune them up and get them experience.

I had a look at the race earlier this evening. My figures say GM will have to improve past three others to win. He might. He might not. You need to decide but if you're as uncertain as you sound, maybe betting in the race (or betting GM in the race) wouldn't be a good bet, even if it does win.

He's unbeaten and is a very promising hurdler, so I think he could show his class at a big MEETING tommorow.

Last edited:
Tidal Bay is interesting back over hurdles in the Cleeve. Looks totally out of love with jumping fences so it will be interesting to see does this renew his spark.

I'd gone to bed last night with the intention of making Royal Charm my bet of the day, seeing the evening paper forecast had him at 9/4. However, the market appears to have seen the obvious so I'll just be watching the race in the expectation that Royal Charm will skate up.

No idea where you got your prices, BE, but if you go to oddschecker.com you'll find all the bookies' prices and RC is best priced 6/4, generally 11/8.

Ive gone for 4 today like the look of perce rock, madison du berlais (i know his chelt form is dreadful but pipes yard in cracking form and think class horse in race), tidal bay and aachen gonna but them in some multiples at big prices each way you never know.

It isn't often they show the same level back over the smaller obstacles. His OR was just 153 so he'd have been a good thing for the Pertemps final if they'd looked that far ahead.

The horse has a hell of an engine i cant forget how he flew up the hill last year at cheltenham in the ryanair. I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say if the ground is reasonably good come world hurdle day he may well beat big bucks he looked like he was trying to pull himself up today i'm sure he could've gone round again. Funny how he could be like big bucks in that he hasn't made it over the larger obstacles and may now find his sphere. Also wouldn't it be emotional for the wylies if they won the world hurdle after what happened to poor old inglis drever.

Really taken with tidal bay. Today was the first time i never had a punt on him, 16-1 looks a decent each way bet for the world hurdle.

Back