3rd June 22

yorick

Conditional
A mind-boggling amount of racing available today and I've had a look, unearthing four horses, which I hope will give good account of themselves.

Golden Apollo - 7.15 Donc 10/1 Ew

Here's one that's Lbs below his last winning mark. Three of his last wins have been in Cl 2 so he has the ability, without doubt. The run before last saw him meet trouble en route and it showed that there's life in the old horse yet. Perched on 74, this looks outstanding value for an ew shot.

Captain Howes - 8.40 Bath 9/2 Ew

If I write Mark Prescott, 3yo, first time in a handicap, horse is bred to stay, racing a full 6f than he's ever raced before, blinkered first time, would you bite my hand off for 9/2? Probably.

Corazon Espinado - 2.35 Eps 12/1 Ew

Won this last year and is back rated just 1Lb higher. Epsom is an idiosyncratic course and this horse has won three times on the track. He must be value at this price.

Orbaan - 5.45 Eps 10/1 Ew

Well, here we go again with this one: the head barman in the last-chance saloon. I refuse to be swayed. I'll not forget his run last term behind Maydanny at Goodwood: a winner with nowhere to go imo. I know he's one that probably needs to be put there on the line and these can be tricky to win with. However, I think lto was probably the plan to up his mark in preparation for some big handicaps to come. I didn't work out and Orbaan met trouble once more.

Tomorrow gives another chance to up his mark but the 7f must be a worry. Racing being as perverse as it is, though, I have to back it and see how it all pans out. It's a big act of faith, I know.

Good sport tomorrow and I look forward to the action.

Back