A racing blog I enjoy reading.

Colin Phillips

At the Start
David Carr in the Racing Post.

It's updated regularly, which isn't always the case, and he usually writes something to make that makes me smile.

An excerpt from Wednesday's:

"In the presence of greatness.

MORE evidence that Derek Thompson is someone special, deserving of better treatment than us mere mortals.

As I turned up in heavy rain at Carlisle he was doing his homework prior to commentating and asked what the Wi-Fi code was.

I explained you needed to go back to the office to get one and, no, I couldn't get one for him as you need to sign for it - if I everget banned from the racecourse I don't want it to be for forging Tommo's signature.

When lo and behold, the door opened and a woman for the office appeared bearing a Wi-Fi code brought specially for Mr Thompson, a dedicated, personal service - all that was missing was the silver salver to carry it on.

"Oh sorry, David, I would have brought to you one too if I had know you were here," she said, unconvincingly.

Her words sounded even hollower a few hours later when one hot pie and mash arrived - no prizes for guessing which expensively-lined stomach it was destined for.

Not that anyone at Musselburgh last weekend needed reminding this is someone out of the ordinary. In his dangerous role with the roving microphone he apparently asked one racegoer her name.

On getting the response 'Jane', he immediately came out with "Me Tommo, you Jane." Though history does not recall whether he stripped to a loincloth and starting banging his chest.

.............."

Tommo is the worst commentator out there bar none.... 'He's coming again...' and the horse would be 5/6 lengths down on the winner! Does my head in!

Welcome back, my man, you have been missed.

not sure about that Colin but i have missed posting a little... but its surprising how much more i've got done with the time i would have spent gabbing on here.

i was ready for a break...getting way too precious even though some of the stuff were a bit uncalled for i shouldn't have let it bother me like i did

hopefully I can contribute without the preciousness in future;)

Not changed post codes then? ;)

Hi Steve

its more an Eric Clapton thing ;)

I see you are still throwing your money at that love pony of yours for the Arc;)...did you see his last run?...might be better aiming him for the stayers hurdle now

donkey.gif

Last edited:
Hi Steve

its more an Eric Clapton thing ;)

I see you are still throwing your money at that love pony of yours for the Arc;)...did you see his last run?...might be better aiming him for the stayers hurdle now

donkey.gif

His last run certainly helped to get the price out… we’ll see.

I well remember the days of Cream and Derek And The Dominos, when the slogan “Clapton is God” could be seen scrawled across most of London. I went to more Clapton and Stones gigs (then called concerts) during that period than any others. Missed Hendrix on the Isle Of Wight (wasn't allowed to go).

Nice to see you again, Eric.

Thommo = Alan Partridge. Priceless comparison! I won't have a straight face again whenever I see him on one of his wild runabouts in the crowd. If anyone needed dope-testing, it'd be him - his energy levels, if unassisted by theobromine or steroids, are unbelievable, as many an exhausted, dehydrated, and gibbering camera operator will attest.

Back