A Very Interesting Post!

Colin Phillips

At the Start
:shy:

Two horses that ran way down the field behind Pasco at Newbury in early March, who I thought might be capable of making the grade, run today.

L'Homme De Nuit Kempton 2.00

Trained by Gary Moore, has had the one run since, when unplaced behind Binocular at Kempton. A big drop in class today, tipped up by Spotlight and available at 8 on Betfair.

Histoire De Moeurs Wincanton 2.20 (don't these names just trip off the tongue?........ah! an idea for another interesting thread there)

Is with Peter Bowen and has managed to beat three horses home in two races so far but she is another taking a drop in class. 65 on Betfair and as this is her third run perhaps a day for watching rather than punting.

Hi Colin

I though L'Homme de Nuit shaped as if was going to finish a lot closer to the front 2 at one stage than he did. Bettr ground and handicaps will probably see him placed to advantage in due course.

Thanks for the kind comment, DJ.

Didn't see either race as I had the honour of being asked to be at a christening, as a godfather today, anyone who knows much about me will see the irony in that, but it was still a pleasure to do it.

Originally posted by Venusian@Mar 30 2008, 12:59 PM
Histoire De Moeurs = Moral Tale
Could also mean "Story/or/History Of Manners" since both words have both meanings

How did she do? Bowen's string seems to have hit a bit better form in the last 3 weeks

To continue the interesting post??? thread.

Two that I thought ran with plenty of promise at Kempton on Saturday.

Red Rumour who won the first on his first attempt in a handicap looks a really nice sort and one to keep in mind for valuable handicaps this season.

Hammadi ran third in the six furlong, second race on the card, he was very free and seemed to get unbalanced in the straight. Finished last season by running prominently, until fading, in a Group 2 at Maison Lafitte. He looks to have the scope to improve and provided he can be settled should be winning races over 7f to 1 mile.

A couple that I am interested in today are :

Archie Gunn 1.50 Wincanton, he is becoming just a little exposed. He has the looks of a future winner but his ability is becoming a little questionable. I saw his debut in a bumper at Wincanton over a year ago and I am just a little poorer for following him over the cliff. He has the make of a chaser but I am hoping that he can pick up a race over hurdles first.

Dancing Wave Southwell 3.30. A 2-y-o from Bill Turner's yard (any input chrisbeek?). Made her debut at Warwick a week ago, she looked quite a big filly and I thought Warwick's sharp 5f. wouldn't be ideal. She was the stable's neglected starting at 14/1 but ran quite well, showing plenty of speed to chase the leaders and eventually finished fifth. I would have thought Southwell's straight five would be more suitable for this filly and I am hoping that she can use her experience to get the better of Osborne's and Ryan's newcomers.

Von Galen is the interesting one for me at Wincanton. The race at Newbury has been working out well, with The Jazz Musician maybe the best of the lot, and hopefully it will get another boost. It might be interesting today and maybe the pilot might just make it an interesting price.

Best a veil be drawn over yesterday's suggestions.

A bit of a Paul Nicholls fest down at Winkers.

There might be an interesting race at Southwell today in the 4.45. A Class 2 event for the huge amount of £10,000 to the winner.

A comparison of the Lincoln an Spring Mile form. Rio Riva, fourth in the Lincoln, gives a stone away to Benandonner runner-up to the impressive Don't Panic in the Spring Mile.

Benandonner has shown he can act on the surface when second here some time ago whereas Rio Riva hasn't tackled Fibresand before.

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Apr 1 2008, 06:44 AM
Best a veil be drawn over yesterday's suggestions.

A bit of a Paul Nicholls fest down at Winkers.

There might be an interesting race at Southwell today in the 4.45. A Class 2 event for the huge amount of £10,000 to the winner.

A comparison of the Lincoln an Spring Mile form. Rio Riva, fourth in the Lincoln, gives a stone away to Benandonner runner-up to the impressive Don't Panic in the Spring Mile.

Benandonner has shown he can act on the surface when second here some time ago whereas Rio Riva hasn't tackled Fibresand before.
Didn't like to say :P
You're not that Mark Howard off RUK are you? he's good at telling us things we already know.
Maybe you should stick to giving horses that aren't running and back them next time Colin :what: :laughing:

Sorry about the absence of a really interesting post yesterday, interestingly enough I made the trek to Nottingham races and didn't have the time to post.

From Tuesday's racing......you couldn't really say Benandonner was that impressive in franking Don't Panic's Spring Mile win but he did manage to win.

Again from Tuesday one that caught my eye at Wetherby was Ruby Sunday in the 4.25. A starting price of 66/1 suggests that not a lot was expected on the day but this lightly-raced (2 bumpers and now 2 novice hurdles) Kayf Tara gelding was lobbing along in midfield and made a move as they turned into the straight and looked as if a place was possible but the horse wasn't persevered with and eventually finished fourth beaten 27 lengths. More to come I feel.

No need for me to point out that there is a rather interesting meeting taking place on Merseyside over the next three days.

I, myself, will be in Merseyside for the next two days but sadly for a family funeral rather than some interesting racing.

Will Inglis Drever overcome his apathy to this course?...beaten in his last three runs here and has not won on the track since 2003.

Will Kauto Star be able to produce his best after a hard race at Cheltenham?

There looks to be a fascinating clash in the third between Binocular and Celestial Halo as referred to on their own thread.

Can Katarino win the Hunter Chase for the third time?

The 2mile handicap chase looks much too difficult.

The 2m 4f. is another fascinating contest Franchoek and Group Captain from the Alan King yard, Whiteoak and a few others.

And the getting-out stakes is a 23-runner handicap hurdle???

PS for Dante, it's pity I didn't have the time to point out yesterday's interesting runner at Catterick...............would you believe it WON!!! apologies for the after-timing and I won't claim that one.
:shy:

Nottingham last Wednesday; the Conditions Stakes won by Sonny Red was run in 63.05, the 2-y-o Novices' race run immediately before was won by She's A Shaw Thing (what a horrible name!!) in a time of 64.56.

As ther were only four runners in the 2-y-o race and the winner made all and hardly saw another horse from the stalls, whereas the Conditions Stakes had seven runners and a close finish, did the 2-y-o put up a good performance?

Talk after the race of the winner being an Ascot 2-y-o and the trainer of the runner-up, Bill Turner, can be quoted as saying, "I'd heard that she was a decent filly and perhaps I shouldn't have taken her on, she must be useful to have beaten mine like that!"

A couple of horses that I am interested in today but both have stamina doubts according to the Racing Post.

Desert Lover, 2.20 Ludlow, made his hurdling debut in a seller at this track last month and I thought he showed enought to suggest he could win a poor race. The fact that he was mainly raced over 7f. on the flat suggests that the Spotlight summary might well be spot on, but he is available at 48 on Betfair so a small interest isn't going to cause to much hardship.

Decibel 5.20 Ludlow. Kevin Ryan doesn't have many runners in bumpers, just 5 in the last five years, one of those won. Decibel was third on his racecourse at Wetherby in December. That was over 1m 5f. and he is stepped up to 2m. today. Ryan has engaged Denis O'Reagan to ride. The field looks quite competitive, with entries from some of the bigger yards and Decibel is available at 11.

The winner of Decibel's race [NH's Front Of House, looks smart] was the only one I bet in the afternoon racing [was busy earlier] - evens so no big profit, and I lost that on a place for Decibel.
I managed to forget to clock into our girl Atomic Winner, who lived up to her name :rolleyes:
That's her 2nd win, and I didn't back her either time

Then I had five win only bets on BF tonight for Kempton, some at tasty odds -
every damn 'oss came 2nd cry

Days like that make me want to jump down a well

Sorry, Heads, I don't expect people to actually have money on anything I post up. :what:

Except for meeting up with Chris, again, and a couple of other racecourse mates, not a very interesting day's racing at Bath on Wednesday.

Two 2-y-o races, the second one a seller, to start the card and I couldn't find a decent-looking one between them, Chris disagreed and he is the professional!!!

An obvious favourite for the mile maiden in Sugar Mint from the Barry Hills yard, she had run decent efforts behind Spacious and Listen last back-end. She looked the part and duly won but not that impressively. The other decent looking one was Colorado Blue, he finished third and looks as if he needs at least another couple of furlongs. Sabre's Edge, still a maiden at seven, was pulled up lame in this, I don't know how badly he was injured.

Ryan's Future followed up a good second at Nottingham last week by winning the 10f. handicap convincingly.

Retired to the bar for the two-miler won by Brendan Powell's Lupita, one of three winners on the day for him, where's Kathy????

The last was one by the 11-y-o Digital and I know of at least a couple of punters who were put off by his age. The runner-up Namir should be spot on for this run.

I wasn't able to watch the action from Ludlow, something to do with contracts and Turf TV?!?, so it was back to the old Extel days and Desert Lover didn't get a mention but I see he finished fifth. I'm told that he might need a different jockey if he is going to win a race!!!!!!!

A couple of interest today at Musselburgh, in the 2.30 Grizebeck is a strong galloping front-runner who went down by the shortest of noses when I was at Wolverhampton last month. He has run three grand races since and provided he acts as well right-handed should go close. At the same meeting I saw Alexander Huricane (5.25) win and he looked to be an improving horse. First run on the turf today but the five furlongs should be ideal.

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Apr 11 2008, 08:27 AM
Sorry, Heads, I don't expect people to actually have money on anything I post up. :what:
I didn't!! - or not so far as I know... I picked my own.
I get those bouts of Seconditis quite a lot, maybe it's catching :P Wish there was a prescription for it

Grizebeck, well backed from 9/4 > 6/4, put in another brave front-running effort, finding more when challenged inside the final two furlongs.

Alexander Huricane didn't quite manage to land the double, it seems the winner, Rebel Duke, was 'expected', as his connections had heliocoptered up from Doncaster especially for the race, they had a runner at that venue earlier in the afternoon.

Stevie Thunder was strongly fancied to follow up his second to Jaser at Nottingham last week, but he was struggling at one point to land the odds, of 4/5, before getting the upper hand to win by 2 1/2 lengths in the end.

A couple of nice 3-y-os on show at Donny. I had made a note of Royalist after his only run as a 2-y-o at Goodwood, when he finished fifth, 4 lengths behind Shallal. He was 2/1 favourite to win the first yesterday, he pulled very hard for his head for three furlongs and the fact that he still managed to win suggests he might be useful.

The Oil Magnate, trained by Michael Dods, was another reappearing after just one promising run as a 2-y-o. He looked the part before the race but the trainer had doubts about the ground, they were unfounded and he won going away by seven lengths.

One I will be watching today is Kalhan Sands, Doncaster 4.45, impressed me when winning at Catterick in July but has done very little since. He is trained by Alan Swinbank and I feel there is more to come.

Biggest eye-catcher for me at Doncaster yesterday was the filly Dubai Petal. Well handicapped on her 2-y-o form and likely to be well suited by 1m+ this year came in for very tender handling by Egan, but for which she is sure to have been placed. Compensation surely awaits in the coming weeks.

Amazing number of Pivotals winning today!! - there's another, Resplendant Nova, in the next

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Apr 11 2008, 08:27 AM

Retired to the bar for the two-miler won by Brendan Powell's Lupita, one of three winners on the day for him, where's Kathy????

Here.... :P

Not very interesting, but another tiresome example of Sod's Law yesterday. Of the four runners I had picked out for the day's racing, the only one that lost was the one I put up here. Majaales (10/1) being particularly annoying, but his previous run had been very poor. Kalhan Sands seemed well out-classed in his event but showed enough to keep me interested.

Much the best of today's racing isn't in Britain, the cards at The Curragh and Longchamp being much classier than the fare at Brighton, the Abbot and Kelso.

One question, why haven't some of our British trainers sent any to France or Ireland?

Oh! I've just spotted William Haggas has sent Lady Grace over to The Curragh.

I'll be interested to see Jumbajukiba in the Gladness. I remember seeing this one make his racecourse debut at Salisbury and I couldn't believe he was a 2-y-o, even at that stage he looked like a prospective chaser!!! :shy: Don't suppose he'll take that route now but you never know, he is with Jessica Harrington!!

As an afterthought, Shadow Leaders's favourite trainer, Mick Quinn, was very happy with Angus News' (Brighton 3.10) run behind Sonny Red and Hoh Hoh Hoh, at Nottingham earlier this month. Today's race looks easier but she hasn't run at Brighton before and it's not every horse's cup of tea.

Hannon's sent Major Cadeaux over to Ireland as well, and Bary Hills has sent Captain Marvellous, those and haggas's horse all going for the Gladness

It's shame none are going to France in respect of form lines, but with travel costs ever escalating and the races over here not filling up, one can see why

Scoped dirty yesterday morning......so another visit to the vet's and another course of Auntie Bionics.

So, no "interesting post" yesterday, and, but for the first at Windsor, didn't watch any of the coverage on ATR............Chaparse, Duval and the lovely Alex....what a team. BTW, Hughsey is riding particularly well at the moment, The Arse put its down to the split from Abdulla?!?!

If I had been feeling only slightly better I might have watched the Flat Preview programme on RUK. Nevison, Mellish and Hislop must have said something of interest between them.

I see that Jumbajukiba won rather nicely at The Curragh on Sunday...........I suppose that puts his chasing career on hold for a while then!!!?? :shy:

This afternoon at Warwick, Dancing Wave (2.30) is dropped to selling class. I thought she showed promise on her debut here but disappointed when tried on Fibresand last time.

Namir (3.30) should be spot on for this and will hopefully reverse form with Digital from Bath last week.

At Nottingham El Potro (2.50) will have an easier task on his return to the course after being totally outclassed in a Class 3 Conditions behind Sonny Red last time. He looked OK in the paddock that day.

Jaser (4.20) who was successful at short odds on his seasonal reappearance can only have come on for that run. The horse that he beat that day, Stevie Thunder, has franked the form by winning since. In the same race I'll be keeping an eye on the seasonal debut of Kiwi Boy who could make up into a nice handicapper this year.

Back