Aintree Saturday

Guest_

At the Start
Tidal Bay and Osana back in action after Cheltenham. It will be interesting to see Tidal Bay jump again, in the Arkle it was nearly too good to be true, a different horse to the one we saw.

Osana faces some tough opponents with the obvious one being Al Eile who should be nice and fresh for this. My Way De Solzen dodged it at Cheltenham rather than not getting the trip while Straw Bear should like the step up in trip and the flat track but the ground is going against him.

I couldn't fancy Osana tomorrow.Obviously Al Eile must be respected and the overnight rain will help.I could see Chomba Womba running a big race and Richard Johnson should suit her slightly lazy style of running.

How many horses with French names are running tomorrow? John Parrott attempting to pronounce Voy Por Ustedes was always gonna be ugly given that he couldn`t even get Tamarinbleu correct.

Voy Por Ustedes is Spanish for "See For Yourselves"

Tho some people inc the trainer say it's also a bullfighting term, when the matador presents the trophies or some such, or maybe points his sword for the 'kill', can't quite remember

In Castilian the d is pronounced 'th', and s is z at the end of a word, so it's "Oostethez"
Suny will now come on and tell me I've got it all wrong! My Spanish is a bit rusty to say the least

Originally posted by Headstrong@Apr 5 2008, 12:32 AM
I don't believe it is ~ the Spanish speakers have been through this one before.

Quiet and losing Friday after A decent Thursday due to the FoxHunters.
My picks for Saturday
Mont Michel/ Oh Crick
Don't Push It/Tagula Blue
Theatre Diva
Cloudy Times for a family double

Tagula Blue at 30ish on Betfair grabs my attention.

Whatever happens to these I just hope that the National is not like the Topham as I was totally thrown by what appeared to be a horse race filmed by the makers of the Keystone cops. It was though everything was happening at the wrong speed.

Cloudy Lane go do it again. Floyd wiill be on in the background as I wait for the return on several months antepost betting to come home.

Originally posted by Headstrong@Apr 4 2008, 11:32 PM

Tho some people inc the trainer say it's also a bullfighting term, when the matador presents the trophies or some such, or maybe points his sword for the 'kill', can't quite remember

In Castilian the d is pronounced 'th', and s is z at the end of a word, so it's "Oostethez"
Suny will now come on and tell me I've got it all wrong! My Spanish is a bit rusty to say the least
I don't know where to start...

Originally posted by Gaz's Way De Solzen@Apr 5 2008, 08:50 AM
Voy Por Ustedes does refer to a bullfighting situation.

It is when the matador is going to go for the bull.
It literally means, "I go for you".
Thank you - I genuinely do want to know!

I learned Spanish in the late 1960s and lived there 1970/71 and have visited since - but that was all a long time ago! [and what I described was certainly the pronounciation were were taught in those days - I'm aware that pronounciation varies all over Spain - also that what I was taught may be archaic by now!]

Originally posted by Gaz's Way De Solzen@Apr 5 2008, 08:50 AM

I believe that's broadly correct, though my understanding is that it is used in common language to me something entirely different :rolleyes: as it's lost a bit in translation and application over the years

Originally posted by Gaz's Way De Solzen@Apr 5 2008, 09:50 AM

Thats right

It is about Bull fighting
but was wrongly named
it should have been: Va Por Ustedes

it is a similar situation to Rodrigo de Triano , the character name was Rodrigo de Triana.

Ah!!!! At last I've got the answer I've been looking for these last 4 years :clap:

Thank you Suny!

I've given Straw Bear one more chance in the Aintree Hurdle, though whether he'll fancy the distance is anyone's guess. The flat track will suit him.

Buena Vista ew in the 3 mile handicap hurdle.

I've got the winner in all three so far, and the forecast - only one I did - in the 2nd :what:
It can't last!! all mine will prob come a cropper int he GN now... But I always do much better at Aintree than Cheltenham

Paddy Power paying five places on the next! - mind you they have so many offers today the site keeps overloading :rolleyes:

I've gone for Fresh Winter e/w at 12/1, with a RFCT with Forest Pennant

PS Arrgghh Fresh Winter 6th!

Originally posted by Headstrong+Apr 5 2008, 10:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Headstrong @ Apr 5 2008, 10:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gaz's Way De Solzen@Apr 5 2008, 08:50 AM

Thank you - I genuinely do want to know!

I learned Spanish in the late 1960s and lived there 1970/71 and have visited since - but that was all a long time ago! [and what I described was certainly the pronounciation were were taught in those days - I'm aware that pronounciation varies all over Spain - also that what I was taught may be archaic by now!] [/b][/quote]
Depends where you go my friend, Basques, Catalans, etc... all have slightly different language and pronunciation, to what i speak.

If you will forgive me the aftertiming. After being lazy in the National, I just backed the shortest price Irish horse in the Bumper, based on nothing more.

This National Hunt stuff could catch on.

I realised that post was absolute guff some time after I posted it. I have no defence other than to say that it has been one of those days.

Back