Alan King

Guest_

At the Start
I always rated him a top class trainer, and I still do. But just reading an article in The Times today he states that Katchit is not showing the same zest for racing/working that he used to.

It just got me thinking, that it sounds pretty similar to My Way De Solzen and a previous star of his Crystal D'Ainay (who looked a top prospect a few seasons back).

I remember saying (on here somewhere) after Katchit's run in Wincanton this season was so pointless. The trainer himself said he really did not fancy the horse given the conditions of the race...it got me thinking why on earth run the horse on an unsuitable track and unfavourable going particularly when he is a small horse that has had tons of racing already and generally has tough runs.

What sort of reputation does he have? I am struggling to think of one of his star horses that has lasted very long...is he particularly hard on his horses?

I think he is a quality trainer who must be respected at the festival but he trains a lot of slow horses and his stable form can be terrible some days but briliant the next.

I think he has got every single ounce out of Katchit in particular. He has managed to win three G1 races including a Champion Hurdle from a horse rated 85-odd on the Flat.

If I sent him a horse and he got an Arkle, Queen Mum and a Melling Chase (VPU) or a World Hurdle and an Arkle (MWdS), I wouldn't complain.

And he handled Relkeel very well when he took him over.

I would say that he is quite hard on his horses at home. I was involved with a horse there that had previously had tendon trouble, he went to King's and ran a couple of times but broke down again. King said we had two options, retire him or rest him and then move him elsewhere as there was no way he would stand up to his regime of training.

Back