Alex Bird - Tromos

gus

Journeyman
Julian Muscat's article in today's Post suggests that Bird's "huge ante-post position" on Tromos in 1979 was "scuppered" by bookies arranging for the horse to be doped. I well remember Bird appearing on TV prior to the Craven Stakes and confidently predicting he'd win by at least six lengths going away only for Lyphard's Wish to beat him comfortably into second but this is the first time I've seen anything to indicate that doping took place. Has anyone on here heard this previously?

I read his book again last year and I am fairly sure he mentions it.I heard the allegation before but not sure where I heard it.
For me the main question about Alex Bird is how did he really make his money -I found the book to be less then 100 per cent honest.

A dusty copy of Racehorses of 1979 suggests a failure to settle under more patient tactics contributed to his defeat in the Craven, beaten 2 1/2 lengths, albeit conceding 7lb to the winner. That proved to be his last race, 'for he fell foul of the virus after his defeat and did not race again'.

The article on Bird also claims that he stood to win 500k on the 1954 National runner-up, which "would have been the single biggest win on one horse in racing history". Remarkable claim and almost certainly wrong.

David Ashforth's view:

"Alex Bird, then a legendary but past-his-prime professional gambler, appeared on television to tell everyone that Tromos was a certainty for the 2,000 Guineas. He may have promised to eat his hat, possibly laced with ketchup, if Tromos was beaten.

Unfortunately, demonstrating that outstanding two-year-olds have an unfortunate habit of being less outstanding three-year-olds, Tromos failed to get further than the Craven Stakes before disappearing to America and obscurity. I can't remember what happened to Alex Bird, or his hat. Like Winston Churchill and his cigar, neither of them are with us now."

His use of the term "past his prime" is telling.

Alex Bird was one of these people that life favours, I can't explain it and nor can anyone else, it just happens. I agree with Luke about his book and would even go further and say that it's absolute rubbish.

Last edited:
The article on Bird also claims that he stood to win 500k on the 1954 National runner-up, which "would have been the single biggest win on one horse in racing history". Remarkable claim and almost certainly wrong

yes in todays post ramsden apparently would have won £6 million if brunico would have won the daily express triumph hurdle instead of finishing 2nd to solar cloud also ramsden is alleged to have won more than £500K on katies when she won the irish 1000 gns.

its worth watching the brunico race on you tube incredible finish to the race brunico losing by inches after being over 10 lenghts behind at the last

Back