Alexandros

betsmate

At the Start
Two group one places this season, the latter coming on today's soft ground runs at Nottingham in a class 2 conditions race. The 4/5 starting to come under pressure.

Coming back after a break after starting very early at Nad Al Sheba. Surely, surely too classy for this lot, but why do I still have my doubts?

I though Straw Bear was a better bet personally. Okay he's not the long-term prospect that Somersby is, but he was a better hurdler, and he sets a pretty good standard over fences. If Straw Bear runs to his best chase form today Somersby will have to run to 130+, which for a chasing debutant would be a big figure, never mind for one of the Hens on their reappearance. Much was made of Straw Bear's lack of fluency on his first 3 runs, but if he can get around Cheltenham in a race like the Jewson unscathed, I'd be hopeful his jumping shouldn't be a hindrance today.

Gifford's look to be in pretty good nick at the moment too.

Last edited:
I see your point and you've tempered my enthusiasm now about having a big bet on him. Somersby looked all over a chaser last season though and they are always well schooled. My issue with Straw Bear over fences is that he just does not get from one side to another quick enough.

I though Straw Bear was a better bet personally. Okay he's not the long-term prospect that Somersby is, but he was a better hurdler, and he sets a pretty good standard over fences. If Straw Bear runs to his best chase form today Somersby will have to run to 130+, which for a chasing debutant would be a big figure, never mind for one of the Hens on their reappearance. Much was made of Straw Bear's lack of fluency on his first 3 runs, but if he can get around Cheltenham in a race like the Jewson unscathed, I'd be hopeful his jumping shouldn't be a hindrance today.

Gifford's look to be in pretty good nick at the moment too.

I'd agree with this, and maybe even more so in that I think Somersby would need to run to 140 or so, which is very high for a debut run over fences.

Spot on. Nice call.

Thanks. They should give up with Straw Bear now over fences. He's going to struggle to beat much and clearly does not like jumping a fence.

Somersby looks a natural, jumped right early which had me a little worried and was novicey at a few but in the main jumped well and should make an Arkle horse.

Back