Amimal Aid are off again!

Aldaniti

At the Start
A bit belated but just come across this.......

As Cheltenham Kills Another Horse, Animal Aid Fears for Denman

Posted 13 March 2009

The annual Cheltenham Festival, which has killed 14 horses during the last three years, claimed another victim yesterday (Thursday 12 March). The inexperienced yet heavily backed Clarified fell early in the 4pm Festival Plate race, and was destroyed after suffering catastrophic damage to his hip. Seven-year-old Clarified had previously been entered into just three races over the big fences, and fell on one of those occasions. Before his fatal fall at the fourth fence yesterday, he had already hit the second fence. His jockey at Cheltenham was also a novice, making Clarified's chances much less favourable than bookmakers predicted.
Yesterday’s 2-mile-5-furlong race was contested by 23 horses. Three other horses fell and six more failed to complete the race (pulled up).
Despite the serious nature of his fall, TV coverage conspicuously avoided any discussion of his plight, and today the centre of attention is the big race of the meeting – the Cheltenham Gold Cup – and the duel between Kauto Star and last year’s winner, Denman.
The entry of Denman into the testing 3-mile-2-furlong race is not controversial in racing circles despite the fact that he has suffered heart problems, which resulted in an 11-month lay-off from racing between March 2008 and February 2009.
The nine-year-old’s condition, known as atrial-fibrillation, results in an irregular heart beat and is associated with an enlarged heart. Reckless, profit-driven inbreeding by the racing industry has produced a high incidence of such problems. A leading expert on equine cardiology, Dr Lesley Young, told The Guardian on 2 Feb 2009: ‘Breeding for speed and endurance in the thoroughbred has bred a heart and cardiovascular system that is almost too big for itself. Big horses are an atrial-fibrillation accident waiting to happen.’
Despite such a stark analysis by Dr Young, she nonetheless was reasonably confident that, once treated, Denman’s condition was unlikely to cause problems.
Animal Aid, however, remains concerned about Denman’s health as a result of him being entered into such a challenging event that is bound to test his heart to the limit.
Denman’s health worries bring back memories of triple Gold Cup winner, Best Mate (2002, 2003, 2004). He too had a long lay-off from racing because of a serious heart condition, and collapsed and died at his comeback race at Exeter in November 2005.

Says Dene Stansall, Animal Aid’s Racing Consultant:
‘We are seriously worried about Denman being raced in the enormously testing Cheltenham Gold Cup. Surely he deserves better. Having already won the most prestigious event in jump racing, his long-term interests should come first, before any possible short-term gain he may win for his already wealthy owners.’​

This is sort of going off track from Denman, but there is nothing worse than being on track (especially at a jumps meeting) with animal protesters there. Last year I was invited to the last major jumps meeting at Moonee Valley. Sadly the protesters were there at the gates, signs up showing awful pictures of horses falling, blood and guts everywhere. It also didn't help that one of Australia's best jumpers, Spanish Symbol died whilst jumping that day. The protesters then spent the next 2 hours screaming at everyone saying we were all horse killers to be there watching the event.

I will be surprised if we hold jumps racing by the end of the year 2010 in Australia. Its already been outlawed completely in all but two states, Victoria and South Australia, with it to be reviewed in Victoria after the end of this season. Which leaves South Australia, one of the worst racing states in Australia.

Fuck 'em. They're inflammatory, lying, unutterably stupid thugs. (and I'll tell them that - again - when they are shouting bollocks outside Aintree in a few weeks)

Do we really want to give them air time folks?

From a personal view point I've never been totally comfortable with keeping a log for them and having it freely available for reference purposes. Allegedly bent trainers, jockeys, owners etc have been around for centuries, the bigger danger posed to the sport would be a welfare issue and this demands that they achieve the oxygen of publicity to eat away into the public's pysche. I'm more than happy to lock up any thread that provides them a proxy platform, as I really can't see where it can usefully go?

Any thoughts?

If it was on a general forum I could understand that thought but everyone on here I would guess knows that AA speak utter Bo**ox & removing anything to do with AA surely just plays into their hands? (swept under the carpet & race goers don't care type rubbish)

As for the thread having any usefulness you could say that about a few threads on here allbeit on the general chat section!

I think Denman was in more than proffesional hands, Nicholls is not stupid and this is an insult to his integrity, IF Denman wasn't well enough to run in a Gold Cup Nicholls would have the put the horses saftey first but given what we saw today Paul got it spot on with Denman looking like he really enjoyed himself, well done Paul and everyone connected with Denman a really really fantastic job.

I'm damn sure Sam was told not to risk the horse - he'd have felt it if he wasn't enjoying it and prob pulled him up. And if he hadn't shown his old 'aggression' at home in the last two weeks I don't think he would have run. The animal aid people know diddly squat about horses, sentimental eedjits

Do we really want to give them air time folks?

From a personal view point I've never been totally comfortable with keeping a log for them and having it freely available for reference purposes. Allegedly bent trainers, jockeys, owners etc have been around for centuries, the bigger danger posed to the sport would be a welfare issue and this demands that they achieve the oxygen of publicity to eat away into the public's pysche. I'm more than happy to lock up any thread that provides them a proxy platform, as I really can't see where it can usefully go?

Any thoughts?

100% correct.

I think Denman was in more than proffesional hands, Nicholls is not stupid and this is an insult to his integrity, IF Denman wasn't well enough to run in a Gold Cup Nicholls would have the put the horses saftey first but given what we saw today Paul got it spot on with Denman looking like he really enjoyed himself, well done Paul and everyone connected with Denman a really really fantastic job.

Exactly & they even wipe out any concerns for him by quoting a vet saying it was unlikely to affect him after the treatment he had :rolleyes:

Have any of them ever stopped to think that if these horses didn't earn their keep on the racecourse they would never have been born at all?

Which would be the richer or poorer world - one with these beautiful creatures in, or one without? I know which I would prefer but, like everyone else, they have to pay their way and few can keep them just to look at.

Sadly there are fatalities, but I recall Josh Gifford losing one of his top jumpers in a field during a summer storm and another trainer losing one in a field when it slipped on mud and broke a leg.

The animal rights bunch have their priorities all wrong and should be looking at the plight of horses and other animals further down the pecking order who are suffering either through the cruelty or ignorance of their owners.

They irritate the hell out of me and I never bother to respond as, like so many in the world today they are too busy yelling to be bothered to listen - and probably don't want to anyway, if it conflicts with their very blinkered viewpoint.

http://www.eponaspastures.com

This is a wonderful organisation here in Australia that takes in used and abused horses. One of my friend's Thea who was out here on exchange from Norway at the time doing her business degree as well as a trackwork rider, was dedicating all of her spare time to this organisation, retraining the horses.

There greatest success was with a palomino mare named Honey. If the people from these animal activist groups really want to see how badly horses are treated, they ought to drive around and get out, because this pony was left abandoned in a paddock skin and bones, and would have died within days had they had not rescued her. http://www.freewebs.com/eponaspastrescues/honeythefullstory.htm

She is still alive and well this horse, and is now a lawn mower!

Back