Amy Starkey - An Early Riser

Gamla Stan

At the Start
Has she actually lost the plot now?

I'm all for morning racing (11-11.30am starts), I think it's a good place to keep all the dross racing (Sorry Kri :p) but 8.40am starts? Is she stark raving bonkers?

From the RP.....

CHANNEL 4 Racing has held preliminary discussions with Kempton about the possibility of staging an early-morning Saturday meeting which could provide live racing action to The Morning Line show.
The brainchild of executive producer Andrew Franklin has received an enthusiastic response from Kempton's managing director Amy Starkey who hopes to win industry wide support for the project though, with no fixture in place, she admitted there was "an awful long way to go" before becoming reality.

"The idea of having live action from somewhere into The Morning Line has always been a target of mine," said Franklin.

"It's a bee that's been buzzing around in my bonnet for years and I have never quite understood why there is no British racing happening on Saturday mornings, given the fact that the betting shops are open, and The Morning Line is a handy springboard for punters to launch themselves into the day. It would also help to add an extra bit of zest to The Morning Line.

"I've never really floated it formally in the past. Amy is the first person who was probably in a position to explore the possibilities and pick it up and run with it. If nothing else it has got to be worth an experiment."

Starkey envisaged a six-race programme, the first of which would be shown live on The Morning Line at 8.40am, ten minutes after betting shops open. The programme would be broadcast from Kempton's panoramic restaurant among breakfasting racegoers.

"As an idea I personally like it because in terms of traffic and ease of getting to racecourses, Saturday morning makes sense," she said.
"However, there have been no conversations with the Horsemen's Group, NTF or the Jockeys' Association and obviously for anything like this to have any potential it would need the full support of the racing industry.
"The timing would still facilitate jockeys, owners and trainers going on to afternoon racing within the locality. Obviously there is no framework for it within the 2010 fixture list and at this stage there are no fixture slots available. It would be something that has potential in the long term but has an awful long way to go in terms of industry support."

The most ridiculous idea I've seen in a long, long time. Are people meant to get up at 5.30 to watch Kempton? Kempton? :rolleyes:

Who employs this woman?!

The betting shows for the first race would be hilarious with no morning market. You'd see horses getting backed in from 16/1 into 5/2 in about 3 minutes.

In fact, the more I think of it the worse the idea gets. Has Starkey been taking drugs, or is she just insane? Who wants to watch shit racing at the Godawful Sandpit anyway, let alone at the crack of dawn? How many people does she think are going to be prepared to get up in the dead of the night in order to stage it?

It's an utter, utter, bollocks idea and the RP should know better than to publish such shit. The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced the BHA will do the right thing and shit-can the idea straight away anyway.

In fact, the more I think of it the worse the idea gets. Has Starkey been taking drugs, or is she just insane? Who wants to watch shit racing at the Godawful Sandpit anyway, let alone at the crack of dawn? How many people does she think are going to be prepared to get up in the dead of the night in order to stage it?

It's an utter, utter, bollocks idea and the RP should know better than to publish such shit. The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced the BHA will do the right thing and shit-can the idea straight away anyway.

I thought you'd be keen on it. :D

Back