Another Newmarket meeting...

Harbinger

At the Start
...another brawl. From the RP:

Policewoman injured in Guineas day brawl

BY GRAHAM GREEN3.22PM 3 MAY 2009

A FEMALE police officer and a racecourse security guard were taken to hospital after violence erupted at Newmarket on Saturday afternoon.

Seven arrests were made following the brawl involving male and female racegoers that began with a disagreement between two groups inside a marquee before escalating outside.

Six of the seven men arrested come from Coventry, while the seventh man lives in London. They have all been bailed to report to Bury St Edmunds police station on June 19.

Those pesky Southerners Gareth - no such problems up north (other than the "chap in the snide Lacoooste tracky" at Carlisle a Graham Cunningham put it).

...another brawl. From the RP:

I work for totesport at varoius racecourses and see coach parties all the time that are just there for the drink not the racing, spend all day in the bar and don't even see a race. Spoils it for genuine racing fans, good example Easter Bank Holiday Monday at Warwick same every year full of pissheads :mad:

I work for totesport at varoius racecourses and see coach parties all the time that are just there for the drink not the racing, spend all day in the bar and don't even see a race. Spoils it for genuine racing fans, good example Easter Bank Holiday Monday at Warwick same every year full of pissheads :mad:

True, but without these morons, racing attendances would be rock bottom. Racecourses are stuck between a rock and a hard place but revenue wins over everything at the end of the day.

The only reason anyone should go to Newmarket Nightclub (...I mean Racetrack) these days is for a good punch up, a belly of beer, a bit of clubbing and a few fast women.

For the purists there’s still some horse racing going on I understand.

...am I overstating things?

Not sure how I managed to double post there, but seriously there has been a problem at Newmarket for some time. I live only about half an hour away and used to go 10 or 15 times a year including the evening meetings. Last year I didn't go at all and I don't think I'll bother this year.

There was no problem yesterday and the Craven meeting was great - but that is a real purists meeting .

Newmarket nights I tend to avoid like the plague - have never seen any problems at the July meeting.

I'm afraid that's nothing out of the ordinary; you see it at every single racecourse for virtually every meeting. The coachloads tend to be especially bad at places like Chepstow, Bath, Wincanton and Newbury. Ascot is getting particularly bad now as well - it is often the venue for several very noticeable stag/hen parties, same as Kempton.

Back