Another tech query...

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
For the last week or so I've been getting pop-up messages on the right side of my screen. 90% of them are to do with MacAfee anti-virus (which I don't have) but I get the odd other unwanted item.

It's very like the little pop-up messages that come from the RP (which started after I took out a subscription last year) but I don't mind them too much as it's only two or three a day.

These ones are coming up five and six at a time, several times an hour.

I reckon I must have inadvertently clicked a permission facility. The only non-routine thing I've been doing in the last week or so is researching car insurance via comparison sites.

Any ideas on how to stop them appearing would be greatly appreciated.

Alright clever clogs, so how did you do it? Be good to know.

:cool:

It was a 'duh' moment, to be honest. I'd been right-clicking on the pop-ups hoping for some kind of prompt and only yesterday noticed the little gear-wheel icon at the top. (As you know, my sight problems have blighted my enjoyment of a lot of online/offline reading and I didn't realise what it was until I drafted in the support of my trusted magnifying glass.)

I clicked on the icon (settings, I think) and it offered me the option of blocking all such notifications from that source. I did likewise with the RP ones.

So far so good...

Last edited:
Strange how these "light bulb" moments happen.
For years I have been struggling with quotes on all forums, not just here. I have always hit the "quote" icon first and then pasted between the brackets, not easy to get the cursor in the right place. Only just found out that it is a lot easier to highlight the text and then use the "quote" button!

Strange how these "light bulb" moments happen.
For years I have been struggling with quotes on all forums, not just here. I have always hit the "quote" icon first and then pasted between the brackets, not easy to get the cursor in the right place. Only just found out that it is a lot easier to highlight the text and then use the "quote" button!

Or you can just use the 'reply with quote' button to quote the whole post, or if you only want part, then delete the bits you don't want :)

Back