Ante Post Betting

Will

At the Start
This topic was mentioned to me a couple of months back and it deserves a thread here since Im surprised no one has really mentioned it in the media or had any digs at bookies.

All of us like to look at ante post betting, whether to have a bet ourselves or just to see where the market stands. Lately though, for the past 18 months or so, I have notice an increasing trend by bookmakers to make a mockery of such markets.

There are a couple of point which Im unhappy about with ante post these days. The victory of St Nicholas Abbey saw most firms cut his price for the 2000G and the Derby yet, none of his rivals odds legthen. How can that be the case?? It seems they are increasingly happy to cut a price and not lengthen anything.

2nd - There seems to be no 'middle' these days. The jolly is normally the jolly, 2nd fav is around 5, 3rd or 4th in, about 10s, than the rest are 16s than 25s. There are hardly any 33s, certainly no 40s, 50s you are having a giraffe.....100-1, must be 3 legged. In reality, a lot of these 16-1 shot should be 25-1, the 33-1 should be bigger.

The ante post price of Champion Hurdle is an example......

Binocular 7-2, Solwhit 4-1, Hurracine Fly 11-2, Celestial Halo 8-1. Zaynar 8-1, Punjabi 12-1, Dunguib and Starluck 25-1 Rest bar........

That book is something you will probably get on the day. You get these PR people these days,with their ante post prices yet in reality, it seems like all of them dont want to lay any of those bets.

The 2000G book is even outrageous imo

SNA 7-2, Canford CLiffs 12-1, Steinback 12-1, Arcano 10-1, Awzaan 10-1, Elusive Pimpernel 16-1, Kingsfort 14-1, Cape Blanco 20-1,Fencing Master 20-1. A standard 33-1 for the rest even though it might have just won an egg and spoon race. Also, come March time, bookies will cut a couple of them due to some 'shrewd' money, that is their reason anyway.

There is actually no 'big price' on ante post these days it seems, every horse seems to get a generic price, 25-1, 33-1 if a novice race in midweek, if its a graded race 16-1 if not impressive, if its impressive something like 8-1.

The bookies these days strikes me anyway, to not want to lay a bet ante post. If they keep on 'strangling' the prices ante post, they will start their own downfall since they will not lay bets whatsoever and not take any money unless they are total wagons. Are the bookies just happy to take money from wagon punters?? If that is the case, in the short term it might help their profit margin, in the long term though, they are just writing their own will arent they??? since everyone will start moving to the exchanges. Admittedly it would be a long time away but thats what will happen. Its about time the bookies change their attitude and become better themselves isnt it and have more confidence in their prices. There are no excuses for them to just cut prices and not push anything else....Im sure Im not the only one who is fed up of hearing 16s, 25s etc. Furthermore, if one do want to get on at 25-1, the price normally changes straight after the bet has been placed espeically when its not 25 offered on the machine.

Im just FED up these days of bookmakers taking the mickey and no one mentioning it. About time someone in the media question some of the prices they get given from each companies or more sensible prices should be given.

What do everyone else think??? Many others on here will have better memories of old ante post books. Im sure ante post books have a different look to it now. I ahd a look at the ante post market for the Hennessey the other day and the horse I liked was 16s or so, I thought might as well wait for the day because there is no point, the price wont change that much unless someone moves it and there is added security its a runner.

I disagree. While the likes of Boyles are very trigger happy with their ante post prices the same can not be said of all firms. Its not unusual for no price change to occur on a top price after a horse goes in. As for generic prices - every runner will find his level in the market. Last year Sicillian Secret was give a mental short quote of 20-1 for the bumper. It was taken and better still was matched at 12 on Betfair and backed into 6 DURING his first run! So punters are so shrewd now that its not surprising that some are shy with some quotes but to accuse all firms of not taking a strong view ante post is wrong. last year off the top of my head Punjabi 25-1 Master Minded EVS Kauto Star 7-1 - Any value there?! One of the biggest gambles last year at the festival from an Irish point of view was the ante post wedges each way on Powerstation at 100-1. The money came before Pricewise highlighted it. For me the price was a rick he was just never a 100-1. So stop your moaning and looking back at the good old days and get stuck in.

Seriously though, look at the 2000 Guineas market now, its pathetic isnt it???

Im pretty sure Punjabi was not 25-1, he was around 16-1 after his fell, before that, he was a single figure price. The biggest price for Punjabi was his Cheltenham SP or morning price.

Canford Cliffs was pushed out to 12-1 with one firm after his defeat in France before a five figure bet was struck. I was shocked by the bet when I heard about it but every horse has a price where punters will pile in. Last year punters were litteraly falling over each other to get the 12-1 Rip Van Winkle and the 10-1 was taken the same day. Some firms had been 7-1 since the previous day. So to sum up, these markets are alive and well and punters will latch on and bookmaker will lay plenty of chunky bets and take a view. Its the mickey mouse blue price changes on oddschecker for the sake of it that annoys me.

Will, you know the game. Why on earth would firms want to sit out the next 6 months on liabilities on horses they've laid in the latter half of this season at ridiculous prices? You know yourself that plenty of the horses quoted now won't make the race anyway. What most firms do at this stage is offer a cursory book of maybe a dozen horses maximum which reflects the horses fancied by various people now; not showing an accurate reflection of the chances of all the runners in the race [which cannot possibly be known at this stage]. I think you're being unrealistic with this particular piece of criticism.

Shouldnt bookmakers offer a more realistic price though given some of them wont even make the price anyway?? Fair enough, SL, I take your point regarding running up massive liabilities 6 months in advance. Personally, I just think a lot of the 12s should be 20s and the ones in 25s should be offered a lot higher. The main problem isnt with the price of the front ones but the ones in the 'middle' where I feel the 'value' has gone particualrly if one wants to punt e/w. Its particularly bad at this time of the year with Cheltenham prices quoted left, right, centre by different firms.

Last edited:
Seriously though, look at the 2000 Guineas market now, its pathetic isnt it???

Don't agree. If one thinks as I do that SNA is a Derby horse and is a false favourite then there are plenty of nicely priced horses with which to take him on with.

Back