Anti Virus Software

Ballydoyle

At the Start
My antivirus software subscription with KASPERSKY is due for renewal at the end of the month and am looking to change (but def NOT to Norton!)

There are a couple of good point deals with Rewards4Racing on either AVG or MCAFEE - used them both in the past but any suggestions as to which is more reliable?

(Cant get the points on Kaspersky as I am an existing customer!)

Thanks

avast is free and never had a problem in about 4 years of using it, the free version ;) theres really no point paying for AV software these days. Defo don't go with Norton

My antivirus software subscription with KASPERSKY is due for renewal at the end of the month and am looking to change (but def NOT to Norton!)There are a couple of good point deals with Rewards4Racing on either AVG or MCAFEE - used them both in the past but any suggestions as to which is more reliable? (Cant get the points on Kaspersky as I am an existing customer!)Thanks
testtest

On April 1st, (always ominous) AVG sent me an upgrade that succeeded in grinding my PC to a near halt and putting it into a shutdown sequence after about 10 mins. Sadly it takes about 15 unistall AVG which is kind of problematic. Anyway, I had a piece of software called 'shall I remove it' which performed the task quicker and beat AVG to the finishing line.

This left me now looking for a new AV. I tried Comodo but never got the impression that it worked as there was a compatibility issue with windows defender. I think this was probably the case that Microsoft didn't like Comodo myself, but without having the reassurance of a nice button saying 'everything is tickety boo' I decided the chances were that it wasn't 100% configured and functioning. This led me to the less aggressively named 'Panda', which despite its attempt to load Yahoo as a default was a really easy install and has speeded the PC up based on the previous performance under AVG.

CNET's review said Panda had the highest detection rates of the free AV's they tested so this is where I am at the moment. Sadly it didn't allow me to connect to the internet however when I came to log on from my first shut down and reboot, but uninstalling some add on that came with it seems to have solved that now, and the console is showing no signs that I've taken a level of protection out. I have to say that instinctively, this particularly tweak doesn't feel right so perhaps there are more issues on the way

I agree about Nortons, I'm still slightly surprised anyone uses it

Last edited:
This unanimous thumbs-down for Norton concerns me. Perhaps unncessarily, as I've used it as my AV utility on XP for most of this millennium and haven't had any problems with viruses etc infecting my system: infact it seems to identify and warn/quarantine regularly

Furthermore, I was advised to download a 'recommended' free utility called Malwarebytes, and this didn't find anything Norton had missed

I suppose I'll have to get Windows 10 sooner or later (on a new PC) and if free AVs really are as good as paid-for I'll wave goodbye to Norton, but have to admit it'll take a bit of persuasion for me to rely on a freebie

Am I just an XP luddite with more money than sense:confused:

Back