Aqlaam

sunybay

At the Start
Really impressed with this one in the Jersey 118P

In the hands of a good trainer, will stay the mile, looked green and has scope and can be the main danger for Henry in coming months.

His Newbury maiden was the hottest one of the year for 3yos and couldn´t believe it when PP went 11´s for Ascot on Tuesday night. Great value and fingers crossed he´ll stay the Mile - should be value if he takes on Henry etc. this season

Not sure ~ remember that the Jersey is traditionally quite a weak contest, especially in terms of finding classy milers.

Originally posted by rorydelargy@Jun 22 2008, 11:03 PM
Not sure ~ remember that the Jersey is traditionally quite a weak contest, especially in terms of finding classy milers.
Despite having made a statement to much the same effect a couple of years ago, I now disagree with this.

7 of the last 20 winners of the Jersey have gone on to win Group 1 races, 5 of them at a mile.

A quick glance at other 3yo only Group 3's suggests that is pretty much on a par - Ballysax 6, Chester Vase 7, Craven 8, Greenham 5, Sandown Classic Trial 6, couldn't be bothered searching for any more.

If anyone can think of any important 3yo Group 3 they think I've missed in this, let me know and I'll scout it up.

Originally posted by simmo+Jun 25 2008, 03:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (simmo @ Jun 25 2008, 03:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rorydelargy@Jun 22 2008, 11:03 PM
Despite having made a statement to much the same effect a couple of years ago, I now disagree with this.

7 of the last 20 winners of the Jersey have gone on to win Group 1 races, 5 of them at a mile.

A quick glance at other 3yo only Group 3's suggests that is pretty much on a par - Ballysax 6, Chester Vase 7, Craven 8, Greenham 5, Sandown Classic Trial 6, couldn't be bothered searching for any more.

If anyone can think of any important 3yo Group 3 they think I've missed in this, let me know and I'll scout it up. [/b][/quote]
Interesting findings Simmo ~ will be interesting to see if Aqlaam can boost those stats.

the Queens Vase 1 the Prix Du Lutece 2

Nae luck, the Queens Vase, yer pish!

Not that such stats should be interpreted to mean that I think Aqlaam is bound to future glory (or even that he has a 35% chance of doing so), just that he shouldn't be discounted simply on the basis of that victory.

Perhaps so, I was going to make some comment about horses hitting 119 by their 3rd run and not winning a Gp1, but I can't think of any off the top of my head (probably because they didn't win a Group 1! :laughing: )

More interesting Jersey Stakes related stats.

The last winner with as few runs as Aqlaam was Among Men (Sussex Stakes). Next closest are Proclamation and Diktat. Depending on whether I can trust the RP's site, Zilzal may also feature in there.

Hmmmm...........

Bare form doesn't look that strong, but the way he travelled and ran around when he hit the front (wasn't helped by Hills) suggests there's more to come. Not sure he really wants fast ground ideally, though.

Not entirely sure, but Haggas mentioned that he was keen to keep him on flat tracks given his knee issues, so I would think that might make Goodwood a doubt.

JERSEY HERO SIDELINED
By Keith Hamer, PA Sport

Aqlaam is likely to be sidelined for about two months after suffering a pelvic injury.
The Jersey Stakes winner, trained by William Haggas, was being aimed at next Sunday's Prix Jean Prat at Chantilly.
"He's had a bit of a setback. Long-term it's not serious it's just very bad timing," said Angus Gold, racing manager to owner Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum.
"He's got a tiny crack somewhere in his pelvis which we are going to re-scan tomorrow just to have it confirmed.
"We are told it's not too bad as these things go. Until we know the details we don't know enough, but he's out of action for the next couple of months."

Back