Arkle Winner

landlark

At the Start
Today we see next years Arkle winner Cedrus Libani who will today win his third race in a row for the season at Catterick! Mark my words this is one special horse and he is the reason why Tidal Bay will be going for the Sup Nov Chse and not the Arkle at the Festival...

Aggggggh - my bogey race, and the ghost of Lennon looms large, in fact I think Cedrus Libani has followed a near identical prep hasn't he. I did clock him ar Carlisle running a very fast time that would normally put him in the frame a few months ago, on a crad that seemingly had enough talent on it to hold the form down. I squiggled the rating as pecuiliar things have been happening at Carlisle this year (something close to half a dozen track records fell in the space of a few months). Other horse shave gone past him since, but his was an early season rating, and you can normally bank on further improvement. I seem to think he was in the 'introductory window too' where most horses that subsequently win the Arkle for see a race track that season.

Had a cracking day yesterday,so been going through a few markets on betfair looking for a few ante post for cheltenham, and had a few small bets....they are as follows!!

Notre Pere 112.66 Sun Alliance (also strong on tidal bay)
Cedrus libani 50 Arkle
Seven is My number 110 One of the hurdles!!

Previously been nipping away at Witchita Linesman for the stayers, as well as tidal bay as stated, and had a bit on Katchit for the Champion. Basically whenever i have a really good day, i take a few quid of my profits and have a few bets on ante post fancies, that way i find i dont miss the money and may unearth a gem amongst them all to make cheltenham week special!!

By Nick Robson, PA Spor

Howard Johnson is leaning towards a tilt at the Arkle with his exciting novice chaser Tidal Bay.

The six-year-old is unbeaten in three races over fences this season after proving himself to be a top-class performer over hurdles last term.

There has already been plenty of talk over his target at the Cheltenham Festival, reminiscent of the debate over which race My Way De Solzen would run in last season.

And Johnson will be hoping for the same result in March.

"Tidal Bay will have another run about the end of January," said Johnson.

"I'm going to drop him back to two miles for his next run because I still say he is more of an Arkle horse, the end-to-end gallop will suit him more than the SunAlliance.

"When it comes to the crunch he will always find a bit more and he really wants genuine good ground.

"He has got a funny head carriage, like a lot of Flemensfirth's, but with an end-to-end gallop he'll have to get his head down then.

"It's just been the way he has been since we've had him but he is settling down at home. One girl, Ginny rides him all the time, nobody else rides him and she does a marvellous job," he told Racing UK.

Tidal Bay is a top-price 12-1 with Paddy Power for the Arkle and 10-1 with totesport for the Royal & SunAlliance Chase

Back