Ascot In In Danger

Shadow Leader

At the Start
Has anyone else clocked this?! Taken from the RP today, an article on a new, stricter dress code for Royal Ascot. It might well have been lifted straight from the 1950s!!!!! Personally it won't bother or affect me but it seems exceptionally precious to me :

Royal Ascot enforce strict dress code

by Racing Post staff
A STRICT dress code that outlaws bare midriffs and miniskirts isto be enforced during Royal Ascot with the backing of the Queen.

Her Majesty's representative at Ascot, the Duke of Devonshire, has clarified the dress code in guidance to all 80,000 Royal Enclosure badge holders.

While the code for gentlemen - top hats, morning suits and waistcoats - remains non-negotiable, ladies must now wear hats or "substantial fascinators" - Ascot terminology for feathered adornments.

Off-the-shoulder halter-necks are out, along with multi-strapped dresses where the "strap is less than one inch wide". Miniskirts are "unsuitable", trouser suits are permissible for women as "long as they use matching material".

No exceptions will be made for anyone who defies the code at this year's meeting, from June 17-21.

Nick Smith, a Royal Ascot spokesman, said: “We have got to be very careful with fashion. Ascot has always been a fashion event and we want it to stay that way. However, we want the fashions to be appropriate to a formal occasion, not evening wear. It's a question of toeing the line.”

...and I'm pretty sure Nick Smith will choke on reading of his description as "a Royal Ascot spokesman" :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

I'll remind you of that when you're bitching oncourse about the lack of eye candy!!!!!!!! :D

Have to say I'm absolutely devastated. Showing up at Royal Ascot in a mini-skirt and a halter-neck was one of my life's ambitions.

At least they havn't banned people passing out in flower beds- so long as they're suitably attired, of course.

There is still hope.

You can do what the hell you like on the flower beds. Interesting quote from actress Carly Stenson about jumping up and down at Ascot and the Queen waving to say hello and pulling your mini-skirt down. She missed the point that I doubt the Queen watches Hollyoaks.

Originally posted by Spoons@Jan 18 2008, 06:04 PM
I guess Ill just have to keep my strappy mini dress for Aintree so! norty
Sounds like that would be a bit too much clothing for Aintree Spoons...

Back