here are my conclusions...Canford is a time monster by the way :blink:

DAY ONE

111 PACO BOY
121 SCENIC BLAST
122 MASTERCRAFTSMAN
132 CANFORD CLIFFS
104 STRIKE THE TIGER
-------------------------------------------
Going: Good/Firm (+21 lbs fast per mile)
-------------------------------------------

I didn't see Paco's race but it would appear it wasn't strong early..fair assumption?

Canford Cliffs basically broke the clock :cool:

Last edited:
Mastercraftsman's race looked very pacey and I can see me using it as the marker for the day. If I come out with Canford Cliffs 12lbs higher it will be a similar mark to the one Three Valleys achieved.

The caveat is that a fast early pace can actually lead to a relatively slow time, as in Hawk Wing's Lockinge.

Depending on how I set variance, I've got Canford between 2.5 and 3.5L's faster than Henrythenavigator, although there's othesr ways of double checking this which is too time consuming to do now when I've got more pressing things to get stuck into.

It will doubtless run though

I'll catch it online David, only just read your post, thanks.

Just dug out the speed ratings for Three Valleys Coventry, the going that day was a tad slower than today.

114 THREE VALLEYS
123 CHOISIR
127 DUBAI DESTINATION
104 DEPORTIVO
----------------------------------
Going: Good/Firm (+15 lbs per mile)

Three Valleys rating has no wfa added..I didn't use toy bother adding it because you are assuming average improvement..Canford Cliffs today was a 109 without it ..for example...when you view a 2yo in that light it gives a more accurate view..imo..so if CC doesn't progress he is only a 109 horse...which is superb now..but not so good in 6 months...and poor re G1 standard in 12 months.

I do think that CC was an easier winner today than Three Valleys..visually..CC just didn't really have to try..and he pulled like hell early.

purely on paper..TV ran a faster speed figure

Last edited:
Day Two

113 OUQBA
105 SPACIOUS
110 VISION D'ETAT
105 FORGOTTEN VOICE
118 JEALOUS AGAIN
94 MONEYCANTBUYMELOVE

Going: Good (+1 lb per mile)

They watered overnight..a little too much..times slower today

Jealous Again has earned the biggest speed figure I've ever seen a 2yo get, 118 without WFA is off the scale.

DAY 3

66 RADIOHEAD
103 FLYING CLOUD
88 FAREER
117 GLASS HARMONIUM
97 COSMIC SUN
----------------------------------------
Going: Good/Firm (+18 lbs per mile)
---------------------------------------
The going mirrored Day One.

Radiohead poor speed figure points to a total pace collapse in the race plus the interference..still a poor speedfigure

Glass Harmonium has run a really smart figure..Cashelgar must be followed next time..improving at a rate of knots

Radiohead's time is a bit of a let down. No surprises though given he was lucky just to stand up. I might be wrong but you would think there's still plenty for connections to remain optimistic about.

Radiohead's time is a bit of a let down. No surprises though given he was lucky just to stand up. I might be wrong but you would think there's still plenty for connections to remain optimistic about.

He looked a lot fitter and happier today.

It's as if they've taken their eye off the ball with all the attention that the straight course receives. Ive only done par corrections for the Edward VII and Coronation Stakes and have them at +4.78 fst and +5.18 at the moment!!!

It might open up some possibilities for tomorrows 'wind down' races, as there must be something in there with 'firm' ground form

Make that +5.08 now with the Wolferton:blink:

Bloody hell, I'm looking in the wrong direction. Abandon the Chesham. Abanadon the Jubilee. Abandon the bloody sprint Wokingham thingy that i convince myself I can win every year before vowing never to touch it again. Switch attention to the round course:cool:

DAY 4

114 FATHER TIME
118 GHANAATI
109 PERFECT STRIDE

--------------------------------
Going: Firm (+38lbs per mile)
--------------------------------

The two races on the straight course were significantly slower..a bit odd..as the straight course here is normally way quicker

a puzzle.

I was thinking if the wind was against them in the straight it would be behind them on the round course but now that I think about it Ascot is triangular so the wind would need to have been half-agaisnt in the straight and half-behind from the far point. Could they have watered the straight and not the round course?

I think that's more likely Dessie. I think they've become so obssessed with the straight course and particularly sensitive to the notion of draw bias, that they've basically taken their eye off the ball regarding the round course. Mind you, the final race broke standard time in 0-105, so there's evidencethat having not watered over night the straight course is speeding up again too.

The other thing to note is that the opening race was the slowest of the day again. Admittedly it appears to be for other reasons today, but is it possibel they're trying to blunt the American threat a bit by setting up a speed duel early. It's normally the case that a frantic early pace never results in a fast time as the principals just cut their own throats

Back