Ask

SteveM

At the Start
I’m sure they would do even better than they have with Ask if he was campaigned over greater distance

Despite being an impressive winner of the Yorkshire Cup his owner has all but ruled out the possibility of him lining up in the Gold Cup, preferring instead to aim him at the Coronation Cup and the Arc, in which he finished sixth to Zarkava last season.

He had a hopeless chance when asked to compete over an inadequate trip of 10 furlongs in the Prince Of Wales’s Stakes at the Royal meeting last season, when fifth to Duke Of Marmalade.

Despite not being raced at beyond 14 furlongs he has no less than 16 stamina points in his Dosage profile and a massive central concentration of 28 Classic points.

In order to win an elusive Group 1 with him they surely need to step him up in distance. I'll be fascinated to see how well he does in the Coronation Cup.

Any opinions?

I think the ground is really important for him. If it was soft tomorrow I would fancy him over 12 furlongs to win the Coronation....but on good to firm he does not let himself down or is certainly not happy on it.

I think the ground is the key to Ask as well.

However, if there was cut tomorrow (unlikely now), then with a good pace he could only come second to Youmzain.

I also agree he'd be better off stepped up in trip, but either owner or trainer seem to want to avoid this at all costs. The 6th place finish in the Arc may have inadvertently ruined a potential good season, with it perhaps swaying opinions to staying at or around 1m4.

I was amazed they didn't give him a shot at the Gold Cup after his performance at York.

I was amazed they didn't give him a shot at the Gold Cup after his performance at York.

Actually (I didn't want to come out with this) to me he looks the straightforward choice in that if he were to line up.

In his absence I'm looking at the likes of Coastal Path and Veracity/Eastern Anthem, assuming that they can't get Yeats back.

Irish Leger looks by the far the most viable Group 1 for him but he will probably have to beat Septimus to win that. No easy task.

Irish Leger looks by the far the most viable Group 1 for him but he will probably have to beat Septimus to win that. No easy task.

Could be... Always assuming Septimus is actually okay, after buggering him up in the Melbourne Cup.

Back