Australian Easter Yearling Sales

Grand Armee

At the Start
I had the pleasure of going out to the William Inglis & Sons Easter Yearling sales yesterday to get a firsthand glimpse of the yearlings prior to the sale beginning at 3pm yesterday.

Located at the Newmarket complex, just across the road from Royal Randwick racecourse, Inglis Easter Yearling Sale is the southern hemisphere's premier yearling sale.

The sale had been originally set down for the Easter long weekend in March. However due to EI, the sale was put back one month to allow for the Magic Millions sales on the Gold Coast and also the rescheduling of all autumn races.

Despite the events of the past couple of months, the yearlings were in marvellous order, and it was an absolute credit to all the studs who were able to get their horses to this event.

One of my friends and I inspected a couple of yearlings, who went through the sales today. One of thhe ones we particularly liked, a colt by Encosta De Lago out of How Funny, a Rory's Jester mare who placed 2nd in the Golden Slipper, sold for $2 million to Coolmore today.

Unfortunately there was a huge downpour so we were stuck in one of the yards for over half an hour waiting for it to stop. Not that it really mattered! I made friends with a Zabeel filly who decided that licking was the key to friendship, and not biting(photo courtesy of William Inglis & Sons Ltd):

lot466.jpg

Anyway the catalogue is located here www.inglis.com.au

Thanks for that Grande Armee, and what a gorgeous girl! Hope she finds a good home. It will be mighty interesting to follow the Encosta De Lago colt if he comes to Europe

I met one of your compatriots yesterday, Jane Chapple-Hyam who was Robert Sangster's stepdaughter then wife to Peter Chapple-Hyam for a while. She seems a very laid back lady indeed! I suggested she must be excited by recent developments in her professional life - "Oh not reely" she said, "whatever comes!". I liked her a lot.

I met one of your compatriots yesterday, Jane Chapple-Hyam who was Robert Sangster's stepdaughter then wife to Peter Chapple-Hyam for a while. She seems a very laid back lady indeed! I suggested she must be excited by recent developments in her professional life - "Oh not reely" she said, "whatever comes!". I liked her a lot.

Neatly linked in Headstrong. :suspect:

There is no point in moaning if people criticize you for namedropping when you do it so blatantly. The only bit of insight given was that you spoke to her and that she somewhat failed in her attempt to ignore you.

Some ridiculous money being spent, and several trends starting to take emerge.

* Darley is supporting their own stallions, and the real flavour of the month in respect of the outsiders is Redoute's Choice. They have not purchased a single horse by a Coolmore stallion this sale.

* Ingham Bloodstock, owned by Bob Ingham who just sold all his stock to Darley, is now reinvesting and in bidding duels with Darley. So far they have spent over $14 million from what I last heard.

* More Than Ready is the new hot sire on the block after Redoute's Choice and Encosta De Lago.

* Darley are spending up big despite making the biggets purchase in history less than 6 weeks ago.

One of the highlight stories for me today was seeing a colt by Anabaa out of Group 1 winner Rose Archway realise $900,000. Widden, who were the vendor, had put a reserve of $250,000 on the horse. Low and behold it reached $900,000. The faces of the staff at Widden said it all.

My little lady sold for $130,000 by Keith Dryden in Canberra. He has had some nice horses over his time, including one of my favourites, Into The Night a multiple Group 2 winner.

I have a feeling this filly will be looked after well by him, and he will aim her as a classic 3yo at races such as the Listed Canberra Guineas and Listed Keith Nolan Classic.

Back