BBC Radio 4 Tips

Cannot say I knew of it's existence but remember Wogan's Wager fondly from my youth.
They even named a horse "Wogan's Wager " who was quite useless until they sold him on, if I recall correctly from a Pacemaker article on Terry Wogan.
Reading Cornelius Lysaght now in RP it seems they highlighted controversial, topical or funny named horses as a bit of fun rather than anything else , but with the listenership they had it was effective free advertising.
People want to be seen to be responsible rather than have a little fun.
Pity really.

Lysaght is just bitter - christ knows why, the only mystery to me when the BBC finally got rid of him was that he had managed to derive a living there at the licence payers' expense for so long.

Can't understand the fuss tbh - yes, the BBC has turned its back on racing, but coverage of the sport on ITV is at an all-time high, there are plural dedicated racing channels and only old fogeys listen to the radio any more.

Last edited:
I managed to read the RP this morning in the bookie's.

The BBC decision, for all I agree it is no loss to racing, is mentioned on at least three pages so it has caused more than a ripple of interest.

Alan Sweetman also has an excellent item on ITV's coverage.

One simple way for racing to respond to the BBC is to bar their reporting from racecourses. Much as I am in love with Carol Kirkwood, it really sticks in my craw seeing people like her reporting for the Beeb from the likes of Epsom or Cheltenham on the day of big races as if the Beeb cares about them. It's also an unjustified waste of licence payers' money.

Cornelius Lycett is an odious creature who I’ve never forgiven for being downright bloody rude about my first horse 23 years ago. Andrew thornton’s horse fell, badly knocked into her ( unseated our jockey) and in knocking her flying she trod on him and he broke his arm. Absolutely not her fault in any way, shape or form - I even complained to the bbc about him at the time 🤣🤣

These days I’d just tell him to fuck off.

I never rated Lysaght on the radio but, when faced with working with him on a Point live stream, I made the best of it and was polite and courteous to him.

That was not reciprocated - vile pompous little man, deeply bitter about the BBC letting him go, and very insecure - wanted it to be the Cornelius Lysaght show and any idea that wasn't his or about him not welcome.

I refused to work with him again after that first Show and had an infinitely better experience working with the charming and altogether far more talented Carl Evans subsequently on another broadcast elsewhere.

I've also heard Lysaght used to talk to young racecourse press room hospitality staff like they were dirt.

The bloke is a 24-carat, Grade A, tool to the extent that I won't visit any racecourse that employs him, hence inflicts him upon racecourse patrons over the tannoy.

Last edited:
At my secondary school it was surnames only, unless you were given a nickname.

We found out by the third form that we had a Rupert amongst us and he got a bit of ribbing for a while.

Back