Best wishes to Alan Daly

dilysb

At the Start
Saw in today's Mail that he has just started training as a fireman. He was a good (if loud!) jockey.

Best wishes indeed...pretty tough for some of these jocks who know little or nothing else bar horses after retirement.

He left race-riding last year specifically to train as a fireman - it had been a long-term wish of his to get into the service, and he was ecstatic when he was accepted. He's still as mad as a box of frogs - came to Lingfield a while back and gave me a big hug and kisses, bless him, and said he couldn't wait to get started. Like many jockeys, he's tremendously strong for his size - many have really startling biceps! - but I didn't ask him to try out a fireman's lift!

When we had Animal Aid protestors outside Lingfield a few summers back, he was met by one of them ill-advisedly proclaiming how cruel the whip was. "I'll soon show ye how feckin' cruel it is, if ye don't get out me way!" bawled Arthur (as known in the weighing-room), swishing his bat at the alarmed lad. Can't wait to find out how his sense of fun translates to the firehouse.

Yup, all the best to Arfur - he rode a couple of good rides on board ANGEL SPRINTS for her late owner and gave connections some very good memories!

Back