Bet365 Gold Cup

Bollin Eric

At the Start
Ungaro 6/1, Comply Or Die 7/1, Battlecry 10/1, Over The Creek 10/1, Albertas Run 12/1, Butlers Cabin 14/1, Bewleys Berry 14/1, Caribou 14/1 and Halcon Genelardais :clap:

My choice: :)

1. Bewleys Berry
2. Ungaro
3. Comply Or Die

Complys a long distance horse, Ungaro will run on and Berry will out class them :laughing: :D :clap: shrug::

Your choice?

When they sponsor it again, they can have their name invoked every time it's mentioned.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Apr 6 2008, 06:41 PM
When they sponsor it again, they can have their name invoked every time it's mentioned.
I never made any connection with the beer when they did sponsor it, it's just that I like to know which race is which, and when they are all called after some effing bookie it's impossible to follow the narrative of the season. The race's 'name' is the 'Whitbread' in most older people's minds and always will be - like the Bula, etc etc :P

The race's 'name' is the 'Whitbread' in most older people's minds and always will be - like the Bula, etc etc

Yeah but the Bula wasn't named after a sponsor. I can completely understand traditionalists wanting to keep the names of the great races, but when a sponsor pulls out and stops supporting the game? Sod 'em!

Pointless race now perhaps. Need something with a proper touch of class to run in it again. Every couple of years you get a top performance but they are getting fewer and farther between.

Maybe a little harsh on Whitbread Gareth, who were the first sponsors of the race, or any NH race.I'll be cold in my grave before I call the Paddy Power gold cup anything other than the Thomas Pink.

I will be interested to see does Butlins Cabin turn out for this or the Scottish National. He was going very well at Aintree.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Apr 7 2008, 12:17 AM
The race's 'name' is the 'Whitbread' in most older people's minds and always will be - like the Bula, etc etc

Yeah but the Bula wasn't named after a sponsor. I can completely understand traditionalists wanting to keep the names of the great races, but when a sponsor pulls out and stops supporting the game? Sod 'em!
You're missing my point Gareth, which is that when a race has had this 'name' for so long, it will stick in the mind for years, and everyone knows what it's place and significance in the calendar is - the name it's known by becomes totally divorced from the matter of sponsorship. Do you think of mortgages when you hear 'Royal & Sun Alliance? - no of course not, you think of a certain great race - it's history, and what's winners are likely to do in the future

Whereas when races get attached to a revolving roster of bookies, the names become meaningless and it's very hard to follow the 'racing narrative'.

I wish the powers that be woudl settle on a NAME for each important race and then attach the sponser after it
eg: The Challow Hurdle, sponsored by ....... [Stitchup & Proper]

I get your point, it's just the idea of sponsors who pull out still getting the benefit without the spend that irks me.

Totally agree with your last point; even when it does throw up The Kentucky Derby... sponsered by Yum! Brands.

Originally posted by Garney@Apr 7 2008, 08:11 AM
Maybe a little harsh on Whitbread Gareth, who were the first sponsors of the race, or any NH race.I'll be cold in my grave before I call the Paddy Power gold cup anything other than the Thomas Pink.
Ever heard of Massey Ferguson or Mackeson ? :P

Wasnt the Massey Ferguson the earlier guise of what i will always remember as the AF Budge gold cup?

Yep, Punchestown is gonna be smashing

Although I'm biased cos I'm going to three days this year all going to plan!!!

Of the two big races at Cheltenham, I'm sure the November one was the Mackeson and the December one the Massey Ferguson. I tend to call them by those names and the Whitbread will probably still be the Whitbread for a long time for me.

I can tell you that Alan King still calls the Mackeson the Mackeson!
Had a problem one day in my hearing remembering its current nomiker...

Originally posted by Bollin Eric@Apr 6 2008, 06:02 PM
Ungaro 6/1, Comply Or Die 7/1, Battlecry 10/1, Over The Creek 10/1, Albertas Run 12/1, Butlers Cabin 14/1, Bewleys Berry 14/1, Caribou 14/1 and Halcon Genelardais :clap:
none of the above.....

Back