betting in running

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
How many of you bet in running?

I ask because I'm fed up hearing on TV that x or y was trading at z with f furlongs to run.

Digital broadcasts are a second or two behind live action and then when you try to make a bet in play (football at any rate) the message tells you it will take 5 seconds for the bet to be processed.

A hrose can run half a furlong (more in the case of Starspangledbanner) in that time and the complexion of the race could have changed completetly by the time bet goes through, by which time you might want to change your mind.

Just wondering.

I lay off in running if Im punting on Betfair. I put the lay bet up before the race and click the "keep bet" option which means it stays there when the market goes in play. I laid Celtic Dane yesterday at 3/1 :(

How many of you bet in running?

I ask because I'm fed up hearing on TV that x or y was trading at z with f furlongs to run.

Digital broadcasts are a second or two behind live action and then when you try to make a bet in play (football at any rate) the message tells you it will take 5 seconds for the bet to be processed.

A hrose can run half a furlong (more in the case of Starspangledbanner) in that time and the complexion of the race could have changed completetly by the time bet goes through, by which time you might want to change your mind.

Just wondering.
Bets don't get processed in that way for horse racing DO, although you may find yourself at a considerable disadvantage trying to bet in running based on slightly delayed pictures.

Yes, I wouldn't do it myself anyway. I just wondered how others do.

I couldn't do what Gearoid does, for example.

I like to get my bets on early at best price guaranteed and take whatever fate delivers but I do try to play about a bit on football bets, laying off where possible. I also find Betfair very slow, which puts me off.

I lay off in running if Im punting on Betfair. I put the lay bet up before the race and click the "keep bet" option which means it stays there when the market goes in play. I laid Celtic Dane yesterday at 3/1 :(

Haven't I bollocked you in the past for doing this?

All you're doing is giving your value away to some shark at the track who is three of four seconds ahead of you. It's nice to 'green up' but you've got no chance of beating the on course boys in the long run and you'll be much better off if you just stick to your guns.

In summary, don't be such a nancy boy.

Yes, they sometimes get bitten but still have a considerable edge.

In running, you're not on a level playing field and will lose in the long term (especially if you can't even be bothered to apply any logic to the process and just slap up the first price to come in to your head before the race even starts).

I lean towards agreeing with Relkeel on this, particularly if it something that is done on all bets. I'm all for backing a horse and then laying it back at shorter if there are particular circumstances that will likely lead to it trading short, i.e a strong traveller, doubtful stayer etc, but in plenty of cases, as Relkeel says, your just sticking up 2.1 about what may well in reality be a 1.4 chance.

I would be with Gearoid -in running would be a big part of my betting but you need to be doing it at meetings with good liquidity.I would say someone could make a a second income doing it on irish racing.

I wish my balls were as big as Relks. In my defence it's one reason I try to keep off Betfair as I think its a leak in my betting (really, I bet there are a few other waterfalls in there - ED). When I bet with a fixed odds firm or on the golf I never lay off.

Just out of interest, how much of an advantage would the on-track lads have over those with SIS installed at home?

Back