Beware of Mr Baker BBC 2 Tuesday 10.35

EC1

On a break
this one is for the boring old farts like me..

one of the most colourful charcters in Rock music..and a pretty tasty drummer to boot. From the era when he was in his pomp he was one of the most influencial drummers for many drummers that followed in the 70's and 80's. No he isn't a drum machine or technically a computer generated drummer..but his sound and swing were a massive part of the 60's putting him alongside ..or according Ginger..better than...Moon and Bonham as the main rock drummers of their time..even though Ginger was really a jazz drummer in his earlier career. His style is instantly recognisable and has a unique signature.

A few years ago Ginger Baker was compulsive viewing for me...he has always been one of my musical heros...Cream one of my fav bands from when i was 15 year old onwards..always entertaining and controversial if he appeared in docu's. Not so much here.

I've seen this on DVD and it looks a bit staged at times and certainly won't endear anyone to him that is for sure..but its still an interesting docu about one of the real legends from an era sadly long gone. If it isn't staged then its a bit sad to see what was a charismatic man turned bitter about how life has turned out for him. Sady most of his ire is aimed at the money Jack Bruce ..who died recently..made from Cream...as main song writer Jack got the lions share through the years..which is just the way it works unfortunately for Ginger..but has always been a real issue for him.

worth a watch

Last edited:
Back