Big Handicaps Are NOT For Me

barjon

Conditional
Well, they didn’t used to be until the Talking Horses fraternity seduced me :lol:

Ayr Gold Cup

It’s been a very lack lustre season for ROHAAN, but I think there were signs of life last time in the Group 1 Sprint Cup at Haydock where he finished tenth of sixteen some six lengths behind the winner. He didn’t get a clear run where it mattered and would have been a lot closer otherwise. It would not be hard to argue that he’s been set up for this race and if he runs anywhere near his best he would have a very strong chance.

I also like SIGNIFICANTLY who almost did me a really good turn in the Portland at Doncaster a week ago when going down to ANNAF by a short head. He hasn’t been put up any for that super run and if this race hasn’t come too soon he’ll be there or thereabouts.

A few others to look at:

SANCTION - 4:40 Catterick. Came from William Haggas’ yard and promptly upped a couple of furlongs in trip by Ed Bethell to win pretty comfortably with plenty in hand. Upped another couple this time which should suit even better.

EMBRACE - 4:25 Newbury. Ran a good fourth in the Fred Darling then highly tried in the 1000 Guineas and the Sandringham where she was found wanting. Tried at a longer trip last time, but didn’t get it. Dropped in Class this time and loves it soft.

SIRONA - 1:15 Ayr. I noted after her July Newmarket run “ SIRONA was found out in a couple of Listed races ,but looked good at this Class 3 level. She was taken off her feet early on, but finished strongly into second and I think she can go one better.” Since then she has been overtried at Class 2 level and I think she is again here. I’ll be interested to see how she runs, but I still think Class 3 is better for her.

Thank you Significantly. I don’t think Rohaan was ever put in a decent position, but he finished strongly and just ensured an EW to seven pay out.

Sanction went to 13/8fav from 100/30 overnight and won accordingly. I don’t think she’s finished yet.

It took Kevin Stott a while to get Embrace into a good rhythm when she ran like the best horse in the race to go smoothly into the lead two out, but she didn’t have anymore when the winner went past and then was nosed down to third at the death. Quite a bit of money for her - 17/2 down from 12/1 overnight - and I think there’s a race for her somewhere.

Lastly, Sirona ran a nice race until push came to shove when she was swamped, although she outran her odds in fifth. Confirmed in my mind that she’s just short of this Class, but I’ll keep her in mind for when (if) they drop her down bit.

Last edited:
I trust you were on Sirona when she won this week? On the money there, mate: Cl 3, as you suspected.

Nice one. :)

Back