Blue Cheese

Relkeel

At the Start
Is it just me, or it blue cheese f*cking minging?

I am by no means a food pleb, I am always willing to try new things and generally I like or at last appreciate why other people might like most things.

However, I just cannot see the attraction of eating mold. Surely animals have an innate sense of what is "food" and what should not be eaten. When I taste mold, my natural reaction is to spit it out and not eat any more of it. How do blue cheese lovers overcome this? Who was the first person to cunsume some moldy cheese and say; "do you know what, this stuff ain't bad"?

I have tried blue cheese a few times now (probably because I was foolish enough to believe that it is an acquired taste) and everytime the experience is the same. At first, I quite like the taste of the cheese, then the mold hits me, it's horrible, I can't get the taste out of my mouth for hours and I feel sick. There won't be a next time.

Discuss.

With the noticeable exception of melted mozarella on top of a pizza or lasagne I find all cheese revolting.

I love cheese. I mean I really, really love cheese. Cheddar, brie, mozzarella, red Leicester, camambert, ricotta, mascarpone, gouda, edam, cottage, Monterey Jack, parmesan, even goats cheese (especially nice melted) are all great and are welcome in almost any meal, or on any cheeseboard.

However, out of the blue cheeses I can only stomach stilton - and only then with fruit.

Blue cheese is revolting and eating mouldy food cannot be good for you. Brie is my favourite cheese but I'm very fussy about it. It has to be sloppy and I can't eat the manky skin on it.

I thought "mold" and "mould" were equally acceptable. I have now discovered that "mold" is the American spelling.

It's not exactly the linguistic crime of the century, but I apologise (or should that be apologize?) to anyone that was offended.

Not at all Relks I was just surprised that it was repeated by the next poster

Phl stp bng n dt

For what it's worth (20p off Wye Valley Cheddar with next purchase) I'm with Relks on this. My Mother adores all the blues. The ranker, the better. She loves Gorgonzola especially. She also loves a warm, runny Brie and the Camembert had better down cattle at 50 paces or it's considered too bland. The smells are appalling, the appearance is appalling, and the taste is bleccch. I think there's a whole load of snobbery surrounding the blues in particular (Gorgonzola vs Danish Blue is like the Queen vs Princess Michael - the real thing versus the pretender), and none of it does a thing for me. Well, it does, but I feel unwell enough just imagminging :D them right now... excuse me...

Much as I hate to say it, I'm with Relks 100% on this one. Blue cheese is rank - as you say my dearest R, the good Lord invented mould so we'd know not to bloody eat it!!!!

Philistines... Roquefort, Dolcelatte, Stilton - gorgeous!

Especially when munched with my latest culinary achievement, Cherry Relish.

Well, it woul be were I not on a diet.... :(

Saint Agur, Fourme D'Ambert and Gorgonzola Piccante all fab

Cashel Blue , - admittedly Lymeswold was crap

Ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh.

Now what you want is a decent bit of feta - one of my colleagues has worryingly developed a fetish for it lately whereby he is often heard sitting at his desk muttering "Mmm, feta...." amidst many accusations of him being pregnant...

Love cheese - all cheese except the revolting horror that is goat's cheese.

I once had the blue cheese aversion but if you get a nice clean blue cheese (if you know what I mean) it jut tastes tangy not mouldy. Cashel Blue (mentioned above) or Crozier Blue (sheep's cheese) freshly cut from the wheel is what to try.
Have you tried cheese and seaweed?

Perhaps its a case of each to their own! I could say the same about wine :blink: everytime my OH buys a bottle he says how nice it is & that I should taste it! it all tastes the bloody same! Vinegar <_< yuk

images

Well you Philistines, here's a delicious one - Cashel Blue, made in Fethard, Co. Tipperary.

Back