Bolger 2YO

an capall

Senior Jockey
Jim Bolger was the subject of a slighlty bizarre interview on Irish radio yesterday. Ivan Yates ex politician and owner of Celtic Bookmakers asked the questions and then didn't listen to the answers.

Anyway - he pushed Jim for one horse to follow for the rest of the year and he picked VOCALISED, an unraced 2YO who is entered at the Curragh on Sunday and has an entry in the Dewhurst and Derby.

Just as Bolger was about to explain why he liked the horse Yates interruptrd "Thats enough, don't say anymore!"

Really well touted An Capall for the last few weeks. The worry would be the ground for him on Sunday, he is also entered in the Morny.

He seemed to infer on Oaks day, when asked about Tomas an Tsioda that he had an unraced horse lined up for that maiden (won the previous year by New Approach) which was supposed to be his best 2yo, but it had a small setback and wasn't able to make it. He wouldn't say what the unraced horse was called. I wonder was Vocalised one of his entries for that race?

The horse was a second supplementary entry for the Phoenix Stakes before having a set back. He is in the Futurity, Dewhurst and Morny. Not in the Irish National Stakes though.

I heard a funny story about Jim Bolger yesterday, and not sure how true it is . Evidently, Jim had a horse that Sheik Mohammed really liked. Jim was asked how much he wanted to sell it. Jim said he wasn't for sale but he could have just a leg if he wanted. Evidently, Sheik Mohammed wanted the whole horse and Jim was asked to name his price, which he did and it was a a good few million euro's! Jim was half joking but the money was paid and Jim is evidently still trying to work out how to spend the money. He has a brand spanking new horse box I hear.

Cheers for flagging that up, AC.

I heard a while that a Mr. Greeley colt called O'Graolaigh was one to look out for. Still unraced but still in the Dewhurst I saw the other day.

I heard a funny story about Jim Bolger yesterday, and not sure how true it is . Evidently, Jim had a horse that Sheik Mohammed really liked. Jim was asked how much he wanted to sell it. Jim said he wasn't for sale but he could have just a leg if he wanted. Evidently, Sheik Mohammed wanted the whole horse and Jim was asked to name his price, which he did and it was a a good few million euro's! Jim was half joking but the money was paid and Jim is evidently still trying to work out how to spend the money. He has a brand spanking new horse box I hear.
After his Derby win, I'm sure he could have had one of those regardless.

That story would seem to match with New Approach, wouldn't it? Didn't Sheikh Mo buy a part of him first and then buy Bolger out completely at a later date? I can't remember exactly.

Yes, Gareth, Darley purchased a part share in New Approach and it continued to run in Mrs Bolger's colours until the end of last season. He then forked out further and bought the whole horse, and changed it to Princess Haya's colours for his 3yo season.
Some well informed people would estimate the cost of both Teofilo and New Approach at the £30m mark.
Basically, Mr Bolger could have as many new horseboxes as he liked.

The original sale of NA was only that part owned by the breeder, Seamus Burns. This was probably less than 50%. The second offer was one Mrs B couldn't refuse.

PS Kathy - trying to find the humour in the 'funny' story,which seems to go..

Offer made for horse.
Refused - counterproposal.
Second offer made - accepted.
Horsebox purchased.

I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so help!

Back