Bounce

Simon

At the Start
You hear of horses coming back from lay-offs, winning and then bouncing next time out. Is it possible to bounce even if you haven't won first time out? The reason I ask is because a horse I've followed of Donald McCain's, Realmont, came back after two and a half years off, ran okay and then next time ran atrociously. Perhaps he's just no good now, but could it be that he's bounced, even from his okay effort first time out, and soon enough he'll pop up and win. Interestingly, Fabalu, in same owner/trainer combo and once thought of as a Welsh National horse, did exactly the same thing yesterday.

Years ago bounce referred to horses who ran massive races after a long break before disappointing on their second run.
With the increasing Americization of racing bounce can refer to horses who have put in a massive effort way above anything they have done before who can't reproduce that form next time out.

So not a horse making an okay reappearance to then run a shocker, then?

I seriously hope it's not the end of the road for Realmont. A real talent gone to waste by injuries, if so.

Back