Brave, dumb, or desperate for publicity??

Shadow Leader

At the Start
Paddy Power have decided to pay out on Master Minded in the Queen Mother already - only two months early!

Obviously you could argue that there isn't a lot to beat him but the animal's got to get to Cheltenham in one piece yet, two months is a long time when you're trying to keep a horse sound, fit, well and healthy, believe me!

From the RP :

Paddy Power pay out on Master Minded

By racingpost.com staff2.47PM 19 JAN 2009
PADDY POWER are paying out on Master Minded to win theSeasons Holidays Queen Mother Champion Chase at the Cheltenham Festival. The bookmaker will pay out now on any ante-post singles placed on Paul Nicholls' brilliant chaser almost two months before he even goes to post in the championship contest.
Paddy Power, the firm's spokesman , said: "Fair play to anyone who's backed Master Minded ante-post for the Queen Mother and we're paying out with a smile on our faces as this horse is clearly a machine.
"I doubt that he'd go off as short as Arkle, but if he wins the Game Spirit impressively, I could see him threatening Flyingbolt as the shortest-priced winner of this race at 1-5 in 1966."

Paddy Power have decided to pay out on Master Minded in the Queen Mother already - only two months early!

Obviously you could argue that there isn't a lot to beat him but the animal's got to get to Cheltenham in one piece yet, two months is a long time when you're trying to keep a horse sound, fit, well and healthy, believe me!

From the RP :

More cheap publicity!

Who would have backed him ante post at those prices and if they did it is probably in a multiple or something which may not be settled yet?

More cheap publicity!

Who would have backed him ante post at those prices and if they did it is probably in a multiple or something which may not be settled yet?

Just read the ante post singles bit! What a load of garbage from the publicity whores!!

They may even have planned this a while back and deliberately went shortest about it so they have practically no liabilities on it.

Just looking through the Ante Post portfolio here....

Bets on Master Minded 0

Who backs an even money shot ante post?

How much does a ¼-page ad in the RP cost? A few thou, I imagine? Get the papers to write an article and balance it off against liabilities, which, as Tom suggests, may well be minimal and it's yet another PR stunt from the people who refused to pay out on a winning bet.

Very clever. I'm still boycotting them. I've never forgiven them.

I know they're always after publicity but they'll be hoping the horse makes it to the Festival - and wins!! - or that'll be one expensive PR stunt!

You're right Shadow Leader . Cynical tactics but I have to take my hat off . They've made it seem as if they are the the magnanimous benefactors but in fact are using this as a pr stunt . Come on everybody , as long as we know what they're up to we can bet on regardless . Seasoned punters will know the score but I agree that you need your wits about you with that kind of behaviour

Great Shadow , I suppose I must have missed everyone ... bleurghh :) Thank's for the vote of confidence :) It's nice to see so many of our number are still here and hello everybody . Where's Ardross though and Jon? Sorry to take up the thread peeps .

This is usual from Paddy Power now at this stage....should be used to it by now.

Master Minded still has another race to get through at Newbury.

They must have hardly laid any singles on the horse to take the risk of paying it out this early - I know they like to do things like this but paying out on a horse pre-event, not least 2 months pre-event, is a first alright, not to mention risky, even at his prohibitive odds.

They're gonna have alot of bankers which theyr're swimming in . Binocular, Punchestowns aint gonna happen . Cheltenham is a DIFFERENT test . Binocular WILL DO IT BUT PUNCESTOWNS CAN'T .

Snobbery? Where'd that come from?

Obviously I have no knowledge of how their fieldbook looks so don't know what they might be in for, I am just observing that this could be a risky PR stunt to pull.

They are no doubt assuming most people will reinvest, and I think they are right
Risky but a good call imo, quite sharp

Ante-post books are awfully short of flesh; in my time at Ladbrokes, the liabilities on the Stayers Hurdle were absolutely tiny. The risk to PP is massively outweighed by the benefit the column inches will give them. Had Harry Findlay invested an even million six months ago, this certainly wouldn't be happening, but the truth is that there are precious few liabilities in single alone.

Ante post liabilities might have been tiny at Ladbrokes when you were there Rory but when it comes to Festival markets, especially the championship races with short priced favourites, you'd be surprised what can be laid, especially early doors in the season. I've taken, and seen in fieldbooks, many four and five figure single bets laid in such markets.

Ante post liabilities might have been tiny at Ladbrokes when you were there Rory but when it comes to Festival markets, especially the championship races with short priced favourites, you'd be surprised what can be laid, especially early doors in the season. I've taken, and seen in fieldbooks, many four and five figure single bets laid in such markets.
At Victor Chandler, maybe, but not at Paddy Power. How can you run up liabilities when the biggest bet you accept is £4.62?

FFS people, if they had any decent liabilities they wouldn't have done it. As I said they may even have went deliberately short about it to keep liabilities to a minimum with this PR coup in mind. We're talking about luvbet's wee sister here. The mob who closed my phone account when 4K down and limited my online account (which allowed a take out of only a few hundred from the outset) to a take out of a tenner despite only being buttons in front.

Back