Breeders Cup at Santa Anita

Gamla Stan

At the Start
I'm looking at going to the Breeders Cup this year as there are some obscenely cheap deals around at the moment on Trans-Atlantic flights and it seems the ideal year to snap them up.

Does anyone know how easy Santa Anita is to get to in relation to the rest of LA? Recommended places to stay?

Also, the tickets vary in prices dramatically from $40 to $485 (for 2 day package), seemingly getting more expensive the nearer the winning post you are. Does anyone know if they all have access to the parade ring and other areas etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Do you want to take me with you???? Actually if I can afford it I'll be there too!

I went to the BC at Santa Anita in 93 having worked there the previous 2 years. Great experience. I think I used my racing pass and got in for free if I remember but you would need to contact the SA office to confirm where tickets allow you. Its great viewing wherever you are though.

Santa Anita is about 40 mins from the airport but don't stay near the airport as its not the nicest of areas - car hire is vital. Try for Arcadia or Pasadena but run them by me prior to booking if you like.

I also saw similar deals GS and was also considering a trip there.

Look forward to see if any on here have some answers to your questions.

I think An Capall mentioned having been in the past. Might be worth a PM if he isn't looking in.

I'm looking at going to the Breeders Cup this year as there are some obscenely cheap deals around at the moment on Trans-Atlantic flights and it seems the ideal year to snap them up.

Does anyone know how easy Santa Anita is to get to in relation to the rest of LA? Recommended places to stay?

Also, the tickets vary in prices dramatically from $40 to $485 (for 2 day package), seemingly getting more expensive the nearer the winning post you are. Does anyone know if they all have access to the parade ring and other areas etc.?

Thanks in advance.

I was there last year for both days and loved absolutely every minute of it. The weather there is usually excellent which puts you in such a good modd getting away from our impending winter. Last year I just got General Admission both days and while the viewing wasnt amazing, it was more than adequate. I know they got the pricing for seats so very wrong last year that they were selling them outside for 50% of cost price of even cheaper...

Thanks MTHBWY, how much is general admission and where does it allow you to go? Paddock for example?

Realised the prices I quoted above aren't for both days after all! Now considering just booking the Saturday in a $200ish seat for now and then see who's running on the Friday and if it's not sold out and there's some super fillies running on the Friday then I may buy a cheap seat for the afternoon. My friends who I'm going with seem to think they'll be other things to see and do in LA...

Don't forget these holidays to the States are only so cheap since the pound is so weak against the US dollar at the moment so it'll probably cost you more than you think being out there.

Thanks MTHBWY, how much is general admission and where does it allow you to go? Paddock for example?

Realised the prices I quoted above aren't for both days after all! Now considering just booking the Saturday in a $200ish seat for now and then see who's running on the Friday and if it's not sold out and there's some super fillies running on the Friday then I may buy a cheap seat for the afternoon. My friends who I'm going with seem to think they'll be other things to see and do in LA...

GS, General Admission last year was $20 both days, and you could pretty much go anywhere. You can walk around the whole paddock and see the pre-saddling area.. Like most places in the States(and elsewhere) they have a clubhouse section of the course which was $50. This part is just to the right of the finish line though and most of the people I spoke to thought it wasnt worth the extra cash and they watched the racing from the General Admission area. I think I remember reading they have dropped the price of general, so its a good deal, but if you can get some seats at decent prices, jump at it..

Thanks for that, where can you see the racing from in the general admission area? May bite the bullet for a plush seat for the Sat and just go cheap on the Friday.

Shadz, well aware of the exchange rates but thanks. The reason they're so cheap is that the carriers have such under capacity issues in months like November. You can get returns to New York for under £250 if you look hard enough.

When I went I didn't bother with a seat but then I don't over here and I found viewing fine. Its quite a relaxed atmosphere to comparable meetings over here - dress wise as well.

There is loads to do in LA but as I said you will need a car (and someone who doesn't get intimidated driving on a 6 lane freeway with cars over & undertaking!). The year I went I wangled an invite to the Breeders Cup party in the Arboretum opposite the track the day before - some party with no expense spared. But you've got all the touristy things like the La Brea tarpits, Rodeo Drive, Universal Studios, Huntingdon Museum (amazing gardens) etc. And you can go and watch the horses train every morning for free from Clockers Corner at the track and mingle with the rest of the Brits.

Great tips Jinny, I know the four people I'm going with (they see it as a fortnight in California rather than a trip to the Breeders Cup) won't be too pleased forking out $200 for a seat! Suspect I'll bite the bullet as you don't go to Santa Anita every week but will do more research yet!

Car hire is booked with the flight package and I am quite happy driving! Plan on driving up to San Francisco and flying home from there.

GS - it's not just November that holidays are cheap in the US. Even peak season holidays over there are being given away as the exchange rate is so bad for UK visitors.

Maybe so but the Transatlantic carriers are in deep shit and bargain basement deals are the norm at present. I'd have go on holiday and spend Dollars than Euros at present anyway.

Great tips Jinny, I know the four people I'm going with (they see it as a fortnight in California rather than a trip to the Breeders Cup) won't be too pleased forking out $200 for a seat! Suspect I'll bite the bullet as you don't go to Santa Anita every week but will do more research yet!

Car hire is booked with the flight package and I am quite happy driving! Plan on driving up to San Francisco and flying home from there.

Sounds like a terrific trip in prospect, Gamla Stan. Never been as far south as Los Angeles, but I presume you'll drive to San Francisco up the coast - a truly spectacular drive.

San Francisco is a gorgeous city.

Sounds like a terrific trip in prospect, Gamla Stan. Never been as far south as Los Angeles, but I presume you'll drive to San Francisco up the coast - a truly spectacular drive.

San Francisco is a gorgeous city.

That's the plan, taking it slowly in 2-3 days I reckon, either leave the Sunday or Monday after the Breeders Cup.

Maybe so but the Transatlantic carriers are in deep shit and bargain basement deals are the norm at present. I'd have go on holiday and spend Dollars than Euros at present anyway.

The dollars weak as is sterling, the net result is that the exchange rate is pretty well in territory its been in before, with losses against other currencies for both being of greater significance. American interest rates are about as low as ours too so there should be a degree of stability for a few months yet. Sterlings weakend against the Euro in the last 12 months quite a bit, but the position against the dollar's been nothing like as bad. I remember about 20 years ago when it nearly touched parity having spent years at about 2 to 1 (and 4 to 1 before being devalued). It's tended to hover around 1.9 and 1.5 since, so the 1.65 it's at the moment isn't drastic in a historical sense.

Cheap transatlantic flights have been kicking round for years (even with all the surcharges and hidden extras). Before i got banned, I'd fly reasonably regularly to Newark for between £185 - £200 (Continental from Birmingham), and that was in the late 1990's so in real terms there'd be little difference.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, where can you see the racing from in the general admission area? May bite the bullet for a plush seat for the Sat and just go cheap on the Friday.

Shadz, well aware of the exchange rates but thanks. The reason they're so cheap is that the carriers have such under capacity issues in months like November. You can get returns to New York for under £250 if you look hard enough.

Sounds like a decent plan. You'll probably need a seat high enough up to get an uninterrupted view of the whole track, as from the general admission, you'd rely on the giant screens (there were 3 i think) to make sense of what is happening in the back stretch. As regards to accommodation, I stayed down in Beverley Hills which was great for the non-racing people and it was about a 40 minute journey to the track(we hired a limo which was great fun!). Should be doing the same plan again this year!

Back