Brendan Powell

Irish Stamp

Forum Moderator
For the third run in succession the Brendan Powell trained American World was given a less than vigorous ride by his jockey.

At Warwick: "Took keen hold in rear, some progress from 2 out, never near leaders"

At Haydock: "Headway to chase leaders 7th, driven 10th, soon weakened"

Today at Ayr he was held up in rear, then pushed along when already about 9 lengths off the front-runners and not once did I see McCoy even reach for his stick - was just plenty of shoving on the reins.

Not the first time we've seen a horse trained by Powell given a less than vigorous ride but when will the stewards take note of these?

They asked him into the Stewards room at Warwick (and the vet had found he'd suffered an over-reach during the race). Not sure what the explanation given was mind.

Martin

The fact that the horse was put in from a mark of 99 suggests the handicapper hasn't been fooled even if the stewards have.

Good point David but it's still the job of the Stewards to investigate such rides - the handicapper will eventually put him down in the weights. No doubt he'll not be off 99 next time out and there'll be no fines or bans handed out at all.

:rolleyes: Very droll An C!

Kathy's horse is out of training right now - and I doubt that she would be privy to conversations between JP McManus, Brendan, and consequent instructions to AP :p even if she were frequenting the yard
- didn't we have this exchange last year? resulting a lot of bad feeling... :cool:

Yeah we did, be best for us all if it didn't descend into that again.

I think Brendan could be described as "shrewd" by some, I just think the horse in question today is devoid of ability although he suddenly went from tanking along behind the leaders to McCoy slapping him down the neck and being 20 lengths off the pace. If he pops up at 12/1 sometime then questions have to be asked of the connections but otherwise, the horse is just a moose.

i cant see mccoy giving an easy one, theres no need, simply put a lesser jock on & when its job on McCoy gets back on? id bet there was a genuine reason for todays bad run.

I hope there's a genuine reason for the previous two poor runs too jft. If there was genuinely something amiss then fair enough but he should have pulled the horse up. McCoy is contractually obliged to ride the horse anyway though given it's a McManus horse - can't see JP wanting his main man off on a day when there's no other jumps racing anywhere.

This just seemed like a painfully slow animal devoid of ability, its shown virtually nothing in its career and if it was with any other connections it would have been about 33's today. I thought 99 was quite harsh for what it had achieved previous.

This just seemed like a painfully slow animal devoid of ability, its shown virtually nothing in its career and if it was with any other connections it would have been about 33's today. I thought 99 was quite harsh for what it had achieved previous.

Agree entirely.

i cant see mccoy giving an easy one, theres no need, simply put a lesser jock on & when its job on McCoy gets back on? id bet there was a genuine reason for todays bad run.
You don't watch much racing these days jft2005; McCoy rides quite a few "quietly" these days, although he'd clearly rather not, as a rule.

I hope there's a genuine reason for the previous two poor runs too jft. If there was genuinely something amiss then fair enough but he should have pulled the horse up. McCoy is contractually obliged to ride the horse anyway though given it's a McManus horse - can't see JP wanting his main man off on a day when there's no other jumps racing anywhere.

id be off the opinion McManus would be keen for McCoy to have a feww days off when theres no racing, middle of the season, run up to cheltenham and all that. rather than rattlign around ayr on some no hopers, and potentially picking up bans? just my opinion.

If the horse is a dog or just no good he'd at least try on him rather than give them the rides they've been given the past three times (three different jockeys too I must add).

The rating is I hope the handicapper realising what they are trying to do with the horse. Far too often trainers get away with this - at least there's some consequences in part for Powell and McManus's actions in this instance.

Back