British Champion Trainer

Hannon will have a much stronger hand in the various valuable sales races for the 2yos that are still to come.

I could think of 1,457 markets off the top of my head than would be more fun than which trainer wins £2.5 milion with €10 million worth of horses.

Last edited:
I only said it as I thought O'Brien would be a bit shorter. Agree about the sales races but O'Brien did target the Newmarket ones with Lillie Langtry and Alfred Nobel last season.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Gearoid, this looks to be a very interesting market this year.

Current best prices are:

Stoute 11/4
Cecil 3/1
APOB 4/1
Hannon 5/1
bin Suroor 14/1
Johnson 33/1
Fahey 33/1

Anybody have any early thoughts? I think that the price on Hannon looks fair, but I am happy to be swayed.

The reason I think that Hannon is a decent price is that Sales races have a big bearing on the title. He will obviously have a few decent older horses, more so than usual. And he has a £400k head start on the other contenders (apart from Fahey).

APOB at 4/1 is a joke. Cecil has a chance if Frankel is half as good as he looks, he also has that Derby horse, Twice Over, Midday and some very useful looking 3 yo maidens. Queally was on about the very nice bunch of 2yo there as well. Cecil for me at 3/1.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Gearoid, this looks to be a very interesting market this year.

I actually had Bin Suroor down as a bet in this market until he diluted his yard giving away his best horses and training the others to have crooked legs. I would agree with Hannon. He had a stable full of good 2yo last year and has two of the better older horses in training. Add to that his annual raids on the big sales races and you have yourself a bet.

You can put a line through APOB because he will do well to win a colts 3yo Group 1 winner in the UK with the stable of useless 2yos he had last year.

Last edited:
I actually had Bin Suroor down as a bet in this market until he diluted his yard giving away his best horses and training the others to have crooked legs. I would agree with Hannon. He had a stable full of good 2yo last year and has two of the better older horses in training. Add to that his annual raids on the big sales races and you have yourself a bet.

You can put a line through APOB because he will do well to win a colts 3yo Group 1 winner in the UK with the stable of useless 2yos he had last year.

You have been trotting out that line almost as much as the line you trotted out about Halford not being able to win a G1.

Do you want to bet re his 3yo colts?

I never said Halford could not train a Group 1 winner. I said if he has one in his stable he would not know it, hence Casemento went off 7/1 in a Tipperary maiden. There is a subtle difference I'm sure you will accept.

I think that O'Brien will win a Group 1 with his 3yo colts.

I am not sure that it will be a classic, so I would prefer races like the Sussex to be included.

I reckon that this will leave us 14 races in the bet:

2,000 Guineas Stakes
Derby Stakes
King's Stand Stakes
St. James's Palace Stakes
Golden Jubilee Stakes
Eclipse Stakes
July Cup
King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes
Sussex Stakes
International Stakes
Sprint Cup
St. Leger Stakes
Queen Elizabeth II Stakes
Champion Stakes

Now we just need a price. If you prefer to remove the sprints from that, you are welcome to.

I will obviously be offering you odds, as O'Brien is surely odds on to win a G1 race with a 3yo colt. Question is, what price do you want?

Last edited:
Every race won in the list above I give you €100
Every race not won in the list above you pay me €25.

He MUST have a runner or the race is void.

I'll think about that one; up to my tits in work. Give me an hour or so.

Incidentally, I remember Sir Michael Stoute allowing a Derby winner (Kris Kin) to start off 20/1 in a Chester trial a few weeks before he won the Derby.

By your reckoning, that would make him more clueless than Halford.

So I am getting 4/1 WAR in each race.

He is 8/1 for the first classic.

He is unlikely to have a runner in the sprints; if he did he would be more than 8/1.

So even if he wins two races with 3yo colts (and loses say 9) I will be net losing. Even though you will have been doubly wrong.

No thanks.

But we are in business for €100/€20.

That's fine by me. I think the terms are fairly straight forward. He must have a runner and the number of runners per race does not make a difference.

Back