Buckingham Palace - Jedburgh, Weighted To Win?

• Thread starter Thread starter martin
  • Start date Start date
M

martin

The last two years of the Buckingham Palace Stakes at the new Ascot speak strongly in this veteran's favour, who also has previous in this race.

Uhoomagoo won it in a good renewal in 06, aged 8, carrying 8 stone 9 pounds and going off at 25/1.

Binanti won it last year, aged 7, carrying 8 stone 7 pounds and going off at 33/1.

This year Jedburgh, who won this race in 2005 when it was run at York, and was 6th (beaten 3 lengths) when the favouroute for the 06 renewal which is noted by the Racing Post's summary as being above averge, bids to win the race as a 8 year old, carrying 8 stone 5 pounds and priced at 25/1. I think John Dunlop has layed him out for this and he is 19 pound lower in the handicap than when beaten 3 lengths in 2006, and 13 pound lower than when winning it (albeit not in the hotttest of races) in 2005.

It hasn't been a fantastic week for me betting wise but after whats happend this week with the fav's in the handicap's I am willing to take Zaahid on, no particular reason, I just want my tenner on something at a nice price with things in it's favour. On Gd-Fm ground with 8 stone 5 on it's back, I make it even money the horse fly's.

I agree with you Martin, however I prefer the profile of "Johnny Depp" and also think Binanti will go well again.

Respect the hills horse as much as i do, i dont see the value in a horse like that in this type of race.

Ive backed 4 in it, Jedburgh, Johnny Depp, Binanti & Celtic Sultan. Ive added in Zaahid & Otis Redding for c.f.c and c.t.c

I see another pensioner in Border Music of Andrew Balding's has been backed with 3 or 4 firms. He's one I considered last night and i'll have a saver on him - nothing wrong with a couple of fun bets on horses like these in a race like the Buckingham Palace.

Originally posted by martin@Jun 19 2008, 09:12 PM
and he is 19 pound lower in the handicap than when beaten 3 lengths in 2006, and 13 pound lower than when winning it (albeit not in the hotttest of races) in 2005.
He does look well in on his best form, doesn't he? The question is whether he is capable of rediscovering it.

He does indeed and I am backing him in the hope he regains his old form. When i've seen him in the past he's seemed a bit one paced (?) at times but the draw, ground, and weight is all in his favour today (sorry for repeating myself) and i'm prepared to take the chance. Dunlop wasn't quoted in the Post today about Jedburgh so I have no idea how the horse is, but Chris Beek's say's he's doing o.k at home and I suppose that'll do for me.

I just started this thread as blatently he is well in on his old form, and one to consider. Not saying people should put hundreds and thousands on - my judgement is worth the same as most ordinary punters, nout.

Zaahid looks like a non-runner judging by the fact he's not quoted on oddschecker.

Well done to Victor Chandler for going 20/1 now on Border Music and Jedburgh, and going top price 6/1 the jolly.

Not enough money has really come for Jedburgh for me to be confident he'll come back to form. I've watched oddschecker all day and for me the real stable and connected money hasn't come.

Good spot anyway, martin.

Does anyone else agree with me that the best place to be in the Wokingham might well be high?

From memory, although the near side has won the Hunt Cup and today's 7f race, the finishers on the far (high) side today and in the Britannia have been more closely-bunched, while the near side finishers have been more strung out? This suggests to me that the prominent near side horses simply have been better handicapped.

The one doubt I had in my mind beforehand was that he was a bit one paced, and it proved to cost me the win, as I think the way he was seemingly on the bridle would have meant any type of finishing kick would have seen him go even closer. Thought Jimmy gave him a decent ride so no complaints there

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Jun 20 2008, 09:56 PM
Does anyone else agree with me that the best place to be in the Wokingham might well be high?

From memory, although the near side has won the Hunt Cup and today's 7f race, the finishers on the far (high) side today and in the Britannia have been more closely-bunched, while the near side finishers have been more strung out? This suggests to me that the prominent near side horses simply have been better handicapped.
Why the f*ck don't I listen to myself? :angy:

Originally posted by Desert Orchid+Jun 21 2008, 04:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Desert Orchid @ Jun 21 2008, 04:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Desert Orchid@Jun 20 2008, 09:56 PM

Why the f*ck don't I listen to myself? :angy: [/b][/quote]
3 of the first 5 were drawn 2, 6 and 5. Big Timer won because he was the best handicapped horse in the race, not because he had an advantageous draw. Officially he was 8lb well in, 3 lb better than anything else and was joint-second top on both RPR and Timeform ratings.

Cheers, dj. I'm angry with myself for going low and ignoring Big Timer and KA both of which I had well up there although I didn't have BT down as progressive. The horse actually reminded me a wee bit of Roman Warrior although he's obviously not as huge.

The big surprise is that they've probably ruined their chance of winning the Ayr Gold Cup now, which I'd have thought would have been the major target.

For me the Wokingham was one of the most exciting races of the week. A group horse winning it and a well established handicapper coming second. I backed Bentong who came 6th at odds which they couldn't give away and the fact that that was the same horse who finished last in a 9 runner race at Lingfield last time amazes me. Although I suspect he might be a bit one paced at the business end on the evidence of today there must be a decent race in him. He's one to take out of it for me.

All in all i'm glad it's all over so I can get back to normal racing!

Think Ascot should consider putting a race like the Wokingham further up the card instead of something like the chesham stakes.

Back