BUENA VISTA - a beautiful sight!

krizon

At the Start
Anyone still got a dry eye? Wasn't that just fantastic - six times at the Festival, one better than last year, all the way with Hayden Frost atop. The late Jean Broadhurst's partner having a thoroughly good sob of mixed emotions in the background - it's very sad not to have her wildly enthusiastic and effervescent personality at race meetings any more - but what a smashing race.

My eyes are dry but that was great to see - has looked a moody so and so on occasions but clearly loved every minute of that.

He really did, didn't he? Terrible clatter at the last - but athletic enough to survive it. He does look immensely lithe and fit.

Hes a wonderful chap - Ive loved him for years and years, just the kind of horse I adore...

Thrilled for him, and all of them. :D

Last edited:
That was yesterday, Simon, when I got thoroughly rattled by the loss of CITIZEN VIC. I know we see loads of horses fall, and many, many fatalities that we wouldn't see without nonstop coverage of every race. But now and then one just strikes you as particularly, wickedly cruel. He'd been travelling so sweetly, jumping so soundly, and just looks like a pet to ride. Even the start of the fall didn't look terribly bad, until he began to half-rotate. Then you just felt the bottom of your heart drop out. I didn't watch the rest of the day, but I've pulled round for today because there were too many (losing!) horses I wanted to see run. We all have our off days, and yesterday was one where things got to me more than usual.

Nice to see a regular performer at the Festival win. Did Pipe say he ran in the bumper, Supreme and Arkle?? Fair dues to the horse and Cook gave him a very good ride.

Without checking back on him, I thought that was what Pipey said, Cantoris. Yes, the ride was excellent. It's been great to see so many first timers getting their Cheltenham trophies, and glorious lifetime memories.

So many first timers, it's hard to keep up! So far, so heartwarming. I apologise for putting a 'y' in Haden, too (keep the purists happy).

Well done to them, nice to see them have a winner, and then another one, and great for Haddon & Danny. Now if Alan King would just get a winner I'd die happy.

I Hadden't realised that

DSCF1130.jpg

DSCF1131.jpg

DSCF1132.jpg

Yeah, just found 'Hadden' when looking at what he's riding tomorrow. Nice shots, DG - you must've sprinted to your favourite pozzie in record time!

One of the great mysteries why the parents named him Hadden and then decided that his name should be pronounced Hayden.

Although I didn't back Buena Vista, I was willing it on once it was clear my bets were beaten.

I'd discussed the horse's chances the evening before with my brother and told him I'd be backing it but ended up chickening out as I was so heavily committed elsewhere throughout the day.

I thought the kid was brilliant on it and I agree that the lad Cook's ride on Great Endeavour was top-notch, just as it had been on Our Vic a few weeks back.

I think we've got some smart conditionals coming through.

Back