Buick gets top job with Gosden

Cantoris

At the Start
I'm not a fan of the flat so don't really watch much of it. What's Buick like as a jock? I've followed Fortune for years. Used to love him riding Paul Cole's two year olds. Always tried when he had a chance of winning while others were minding their horses. Great from a punters perspective. Will be sorry to see him leave Gosdens. Any views?

Buick to replace Fortune as Gosden stable jockey

By Tony Elves 8:06AM 21 JAN 2010
WILLIAM BUICK’S reputation as the rising star of the weighingroom was underlined on Wednesday with the news that trainer John Gosden has made him his new stable jockey.
Only 21, the joint champion apprentice of 2008 has gone from riding his first winner to retained rider for one of the most powerful stables in Europe in just over three years, and Gosden last night compared him to one of his previous stable jockeys Frankie Dettori.
2089-j-h-m-gosden.jpg
John Gosden: looking forward to new partnership
PICTURE: Mark Cranham
However the news means that Jimmy Fortune, who last night said he was “disappointed” to have lost his position as Gosden’s first choice jockey, is looking for a new job.
Buick, who has the likes of Showcasing and Dar Re Mi to look forward to, will start his position in earnest at the start of the turf season and will ride the stable's contenders onWorld Cup night at Meydan on March 27. Ironically his biggest career success so far came in the Grade 1 EP Taylor Stakes at Woodbine, Canada in October when he beat the Gosden-trained Rainbow View into second aboard Lahaaleeb for Mick Channon.
Gosden said on Wednesday night: "William Buick will be riding next season for the stable here at Newmarket. Obviously, Jimmy had ridden horses for our stable sincehis contract with the Sangster family was annulled at Manton and picked up rides for us and it evolved from there. However, it has been a logistical problem with Jimmy living 150 miles from Newmarket."
Fortune missed out on the ride on the Gosden-trained Raven's Pass in the 2008 Breeders' Cup Classic and was again denied the opportunity to compete at Santa Anita last November when Dettori rode Pounced to win the Breeders' Cup Juvenile and Dar Re Mi to finish fourth to Conduit in the Breeders’ Cup Turf.
Gosden added: "We have had two well-publicised issues over the Breeders' Cup. I wish to make it clear that the decision over the Breeders' Cup were mine and, if I hadto make them again, they would be the same.
"We remain friends and have no argument but it is time to move on. There is no reason why Jimmy shouldn’t ride for us in future if and when available.”
Buick, who was based with Andrew Balding, has attracted the attention of several top trainers over the past few seasons and, as well as riding his first Group 1 winner for Channon, also won a valuable sales race for Barry Hills on Swilly Ferry and has ridden regularly for Luca Cumani.
507.jpg
Jimmy Fortune: "disappointed"
PICTURE: Mark Cranham
Gosden said: "William Buick is a talented young rider who has come up in the rightschool and I look forward to working with him. The only other jockey I have ever retained was Frankie Dettori and he had a similar profile."
Fortune rode his first Classic winner for Gosden when taking the 2007 St Leger on Lucarno and his domestic season ended on a high note last year when he rode the stable's Charm School to victory in the November Handicap at Doncaster.
Fortune saidlast night: "Obviously I am disappointed to lose such a high-profile job, but at least I am leaving on a good note and we haven't fallen out.
"From a positive point of view we had six or seven very good years together, and our last three or four years have been very successful, and monetary wise, I think our best year was last year.
"I'm only 37 and I probably have 15 years left in me, and I am feeling positive about the future, and I've already had a couple of offers [of jobs] this morning.”

Surprising news but looking back I guess Gosden or his owners appeared to want someone else given how Fortune was jocked off the likes of Raven's Pass etc in America.

This mean Frankie will be getting less from Gosden?

Great opportunity for Buick although I am sad to see Fortune go - hope he picks up another good job soon.

I think it's a great credit to Fortune when his 'friend' jocks him off his horses on the big occasion and he leaves on good terms.

I'd prefer Fortune on my horse than Buick at this stage of his career.

Very surprising. Fortune has been one of the top jockeys in the UK the last few years.

Also, not sure how Buick solves the experiences factor (in America especially) as he's hardly ridden in big races in the UK, let alone the US.

I think it's a great credit to Fortune when his 'friend' jocks him off his horses on the big occasion and he leaves on good terms.

I'd prefer Fortune on my horse than Buick at this stage of his career.

Trying to maintain a dignified silence perhaps? But I'd agree, probably pretty peed off in private.

Would be interesting to know if he was asked to move closer to the yard and decided not to, or whether that's just a convenient reason for Gosden to cite. You can understand if Gosden wants a stable jockey who's able to ride out for him every day if necessary.

Would be interesting to know if he was asked to move closer to the yard and decided not to, or whether that's just a convenient reason for Gosden to cite. You can understand if Gosden wants a stable jockey who's able to ride out for him every day if necessary.

Yes would be. Has Fortune children settled in schools maybe he doesn't want to move?

Without a doubt Jimmmy Fortune is an excellant jock. William Buick has a long way to go to 'get near' to Jimmy F. But William Buick, for all his youth, has made an impressive, and talented, impact in a relatively short period of time. And, while the news is surprising, I would say it is not unexpected that William B has been assigned to such a stable as Gosden's. I guess the surprise comes that he goes there at such a young age and that Jimmy F is jocked off.

Buick is very talented . Apparently Fortune has never been retained by Gosden unlike Dettori was .

The interesting question will be whether Gosden will jock him off for Frankie next November ?

I would think Gosden views Buick as a stable jockey he can mould and make his own for many years to come and Fortune is past that stage now.

I don't mind Fortune but he's not exceptional, I firmly believe Buick is good enough to be champion jockey one day though.

Doesn't look good for cocky little Probert that Balding has asked Fortune to go to Kingsclere.

Back