Calendar Competition 2008

uncle goober

At the Start
My calendars for 2008 are flying off the shelves (actually they are still being printed!) but I have managed to once again allocate 3 of them for lucky forumites to win. :xmassanta:

New members of talking horses will be disappointed to learn that each month in the highly acclaimed Uncle Goober calendars does not feature an image of me shrug:: , but a well known horse winning a race during the corresponding month of 2007.

To WIN WIN WIN, in time honoured fashion, simply make your guesses for which horse you think features in each month, plus the cover, which is a totally different race and could be from any month and is not featured again inside.

All photographs were taken in England. Some may be more or less obvious than in previous years!

One point will be awarded to a correct horse in a correct month.
Half a point will be awarded to a featured horse in the wrong month.
Two points will be awarded to correct guess of the cover.
Bonus points maybe awarded for no apparent reason.
Points will be deducted for suspicious entries :suspect:

Entries should be made on the thread. Contestants may change their entries after seeing someone elses entry should they have second thoughts about particular months, but may wish they hadn't!

Closing date 31 December 2007 , good luck !

Cut out and keep entry form;

Jan;
Feb;
Mar;
Apr;
May;
Jun;
Jul;
Aug;
Sep;
Oct;
Nov;
Dec;
Cover;

Jan: Exotic Dancer
Feb: Well Chief
Mar: Kauto Star
Apr: Manduro
May: Cockney Rebel
Jun: Authorized
Jul: Dylan Thomas
Aug: Peeping Fawn
Sep: Ramonti
Oct: New Approach
Nov: L'Antartique
Dec: Denman
Cover: Kauto Star

I reckon he's put Silver Birch in April Gareth?

I guess it depends on Goobers opinion of the horse, but I wonder if he's tried sticking George Washington on the front?

Reckon Spothedifference will probably be 'Miss November' too

Jan: Inglis Drever
Apr: Silver Birch
May: Finescael Beo
Jul: Dylan Thomas
Sep: Ravens Pass
Oct: New Approach
Nov: Spothedifference
Dec: Denman
Cover: Kauto Star

I can't believe given that there's presumebly a commercial aspect to the production of the calender, that Goober isn't going to take the opportunity to showcase that picture of Ravens Pass at Sandown, and with that in mind I'll take the Gosden 2yo over Ramonti, the latter is afterall from a stable with whom he doesn't necessarily have the greatest affinity. Ravens Pass would be an outsider for the cover given the dynamic image, but one suspects he'd want a horse that's instantly recognisible

I think Finescael Beo would be the more likely subject of the May page rather than Cockney Rebel, and suspect that Goober must have had his lense trained on her for significant portions of the race, and thus no shortage of contacts to select from

As mentioned, I think Spots takes the plaudits over L'Antartique in November.

I guess he might want a hurdler in their for balance? Exotic Dancer wouldn't be a massive call for January. Did Detroit City win in January Agfa Hurdle? Being grey he's both photogenic and no longer being with us, would represent something of a nostalgic selection. Pretty certain the Agfa 1st week in Feb though, and suspect that Well Chief will be the call. Inglis Drever then for Jan in the Cleeve, he went onto win the world hurdle a second time, and is probably more notable than Exotic.

Got to think that the national winner is more likely to be recognised than Manduro so I'll take Silver March for April.

It's possible of course that if wanting to feature the Eclipse in July that he'll only have pictures of Notnowcato given that they ran down seperate sides of the track. However, I can't believe that Dylan doesn't feature, and his only win in the UK would have been in the same month I think, unless of course he's used a picture taken in a different month to represnrt he Arc :suspect: It's possible therefore that Dylan features on the front and Cato in July, but for the time being I think I'll hedge (rather than trying to be too clever) and go with the selections posted.

Crikey... not only do I write out long winded explanations for racing selections, I've taken to posting up my reasoning for calenders too!!! No need to get your thinking cap on Dom, just put your copyinmg one on instead :P

OK, I try for the lucky punch

Jan: The Listener
Apr: Silver Birch
May: Manduro
Jul: Sakhee´s Secret
Sep: Lucarno
Oct: Dylan Thomas
Nov: Denman
Dec: Kauto Star
Cover: Desert Orchid

Jan; Exotic Dancer
Feb; Well Chief
Mar; Kauto Star
Apr; Silver Birch
May; Finsceal Beo
Jun; Manduro
Jul; Sahkee's Secret
Aug; Purple Moon
Sep; Lucarno
Oct; New Approach
Nov; Granit Jack
Dec; Denman
Cover; Sublimity

Jan; Exotic Dancer
Feb; Well Chief
Mar; Kauto Star
Apr; Silver Birch
May; Notnowcato
Jun; Authorized
Jul; Dylan Thomas
Aug; Ramonti
Sep; Lucarno
Oct; New Approach
Nov; L'Antartique
Dec; Denman
Cover; Dylan Thomas

Will try too:

Jan; My Way de Solzen
Feb; Monets Garden
Mar; Kauto Star + Sublimity + Voy Por Ustedes + Inglis Drever
Apr; Mighty Man ;) (I know it must be Silver Birch)
May; Cockney Rebel
Jun; Manduro
Jul; Dylan Thomas
Aug; Peeping Fawn
Sep; Lucarno
Oct; New Approach
Nov; Spotthedifference
Dec; Denman
Cover; Jamie and Seb

A bit of tangental thinking there Crazyhorse regarding the front cover, and for a moment I quite liked it. Then it occured to me, that Goober's primary objective is to sell calenders that feature horses, is he really going to jeopardise this by sticking 2 jockeys on the front? and especially one as ugly as Spencer :rolleyes:

I suppose the other thing to consider, is that he's not necessarily going to feature the best horse, but rather the best photograph he has of a significant horse, as clearly again his objective is to advertise his skils etc This is why I'm convinced he's put Ravens Pass running on thin air at Sandown in, (despite the white sky) I'm sure he can touch that up a bit.

@ Warbler I know I blow any chances of winning now, but I do not think it matters the slighest whats on the cover; when does he ever sell a calender :dork: ??? I wanted to put Jamie and Seb in November, but how can he leave Spot out; or Jamie winning the last race for the title on this Inchadamph thing or whatever it was called. I cannnot see him not including something of that Doncaster Day (as we all know he was there and took some cracking photos) .

He might have tacken a cracker of Ravens Pass in Ascot and out goes Dylan ?

what if he does a calender of landlark getting in his way?

That's it Spoons - it's the ego!!!!!

Hey, there are other ways to obtain calendars too - offers will work I'm sure....!!!! :laughing: norty

Originally posted by crazyhorse@Dec 22 2007, 09:23 AM
He might have tacken a cracker of Ravens Pass in Ascot and out goes Dylan ?
Not so I believe.

Dylan Thmoas can fill July corteousy of his King George win, and Ravens Pass won the Solario on September 1st, which was the race that Goober snapped the 'moment of suspension' (see I remember what it was called) at Sandown

Jan - Voy Por Ustedes.
Feb - Exotic Dancer.
Mar - Denman.
Apr - Silver Birch.
May - Finsceal Beo.
Jun - Light Shift.
Jul - Notnowcato.
Aug - Peeping Fawn.
Sep - Excellent Art.
Oct - L'Antartique.
Nov - My Way De Solzen.
Dec - Kauto Star.