Calendar Competition

uncle goober

At the Start
The fourth annual calendar competition has arrived and its not bigger or better, its the same as before.

To win your own copy, use your skill and judgement to guess which horse is shown in which month.

Each month depicts a horse winning a race in the corresponding month of 2008.
The cover depicts a horse winning a race which could be from any point within the year.
As in previous years, some months may be more obvious than others!

This year there are no multi-race montages, so only one horse per month required, and all races took place in England.

SCORING;
One point is awarded for a correct horse in the correct month.
Half a point is awarded for a correct horse in an incorrect month.
Two points are awarded for a correct guess of the cover.

Bonus points will be awarded where I see fit.
Points will be deducted for suspicious entries.
Phone votes will be not be answered.
Text votes will be ignored and deleted.

The winner will be the entry with most points.

My rules apply.

To win, post your entries on this thread before January 5th, by which point the calendars may have been printed:ninja:. You may change your entry after seeing other peoples entries. Good luck.

Cut-out-and-keep entry form;

Jan;
Feb;
Mar;
Apr;
May;
Jun;
Jul;
Aug;
Sep;
Oct;
Nov;
Dec;
Cover;

As a reigning winner I'll go first.

Jan;

January is always tricky as a month without a lot of major races but I'll take a plucky guess at Knowhere winning the Cotswold Chase given the lack of other major races that month.

Feb;

This is a crucial month for me, Denman, Master Minded or Katchit. Given I feel Master Minded will be the cover and Denman should be March I would be inclined to go with Katchit. However as a frequent Wincanton spectator I have a feeling Steve doesn't shoot there so for me I feel he may have sacrificed Denman's win at Cheltenham and placed us a picture of his Aon success here.

Mar;

I think I have near summed this up through process of elimination and that Katchit will be the March picture given his Champion Success. Given there were a couple in line at the last I feel it may have been a nice picture as well.

Apr;

Last year's picture was the National Winner, I'm all for tradition and would be surprised if Comply Or Die wasn't the picture in question.

May;

A couple of options here but the great dual of Henrythenavigator and New Approach in the Guineas was surely enough to hold sway over a brave win from Creachadoir in the Lockinge and Tartan Bearer's win in the Dante.

Jun;

Many will go for New Approach but given I buy some of Steve's pics, my favourite pick of the year came here. I've probably gone for the wrong month here but for me his picture of Conduit's win at Epsom was a great one and worthy of the calendar.

Jul;

July was a puzzler last year and gave us Turbo Linn in the Lancashire Stakes. However I feel he will go for a good shot of Mount Nelson nudging out Phoenix Tower in the Eclipse.

Aug;

Another tricky month but given the great final furlong tussle surely we will be seeing the good dual of Duke Of Marmalade and Papal Bull from the King George.

Sep;

I probably went too early with Conduit but Raven's Pass deserves to get in the calendar and his QE11 win gives Steve the right opportunity as I can't see him adding him in on the back of his win at Goodwood beating Bankable.

Oct;

My favourite horse Ibn Khaldun filled last years picture and what a lovely shot it was. October looks a hard one to me and I think the Old Roan won't fill it because I have already selected Knowhere for January. The Dewhurst for me was a funny result so I will leave that out. I'm stuck between Donativum winning the Timeform Million and Crowded House winning the Racing Post Trophy. Given in the former the winner went on to win the Breeders Cup Juvenile and the winning distance of 1/2L would mean Crowded House was in the shot, I'll go for Donativum winning the Tattersalls Million at Newmarket.

Nov;

Last year it was Spotty's farewell win and seeing as Madison De Berlais cost many of Steve's good friends the Scoop 6 Bonus I don't feel he would go for him. So for me it has to be the impressive Imperial Commander winning the Paddy Power Gold Cup.

Dec;

Tricky as I wanted to say Master Minded but he'll be covered on the front page I feel. This should leave Binocular's win at Ascot on Saturday as the picture. I feel Steve has just finished the calendar and posted today so feel this one certainly would be going there. It would have been close between this horse and Punchestown's but given Binocular's the Champion Hurdle favourite I give him my vote.

Cover;

Well given last year was Denman, I feel we wouldn't get the same cover twice despite him being a stand out horse. With that in mind for me it has to go down as Master Minded's win in the Champion Chase. He was such an impressive winner and with knowledge of Steve's no photo's on Zarkava I feel he hits the bill.

Thanks for running this Steve and may the best forumite win.

Cover: Denman

January: Franchoek

February: Wingman

March: Katchit

April: Comply Or Die

May: Natagora

June: Yeats

July: Duke Of Marmalade

August: Finsbury (Greys race at Newmarket)

September: Conduit

October: New Approach

November: Imperial Commander

December: Master Minded

Jan:-Chomba Womba
Feb:-Kauto Star
Mar:-Denman
Apr:-Monkerhostin
May:-Henrythenavigator
June:-Look Here
July:-Duke of Marmalade
Aug:-Gee Dee Nen
Sep:-African Rose
October:-Crowded House
Nov:-Joe Lively
Dec:-Master Minded

Cover:-Katchit

Jan; Neptune Collonges
Feb; Kauto Star
Mar; Denman
Apr; Comply Or Die
May; Natagora
Jun; Yeats
Jul; Henrythenavigator
Aug;Duke Of Marmalade
Sep; Ravens Pass
Oct; New Approach
Nov; Madison Du Berlais
Dec; Kauto Star
Cover; Katchit

Struggling for Jan..

Last edited:
Jan - Tamarinbleu
Feb - Kauto Star
Mar - Denman
Apr - Comply or Die
May - Natagora
Jun - Yeats
Jul - Marchand D'Or
Aug - Duke of Marmalade
Sep - Ravens Pass
Oct - New Approach
Nov - Imperial Commander
Dec - Master Minded
Cover - Henerythenavigator

Last edited:
Jan: Chomba Womba
Feb: Master Minded
March: Denman
April: Comply Or Die
May: Henrythenavigator
June: New Approach
July: Duke Of Marmalade
Aug: Marchand D'Or
Sept: Conduit
Oct: Photofinish of the Dewhurst
Nov: Imperial Commander
Dec: Kauto Star

Cover: Ravens Pass

Last edited:
What was last year's cover?

I remember you had an absolutely magnificent shot of Ravens Pass winning the Solario.

How about:

Cover: Master Minded

Jan: Neptune Collonge
Feb: Katchit
Mar: Denman
April: Monkerhostin
May: Natagora
July: Yeats
August: Borderlescott
September: Conduit
October: Ravens Pass
November: Black Apalachi
December: Kauto Star

Last edited:
ok - just for entertainment purpoises....

Jan - Neptune Collonges
Feb - Katchit
March - An Accordian
April - Comply or Die
May - Monkerhostein
June - Look Here
July - Duke of Marmalade
August - Ravens Pass
September - Conduit
October - New Approach
November - Imperial Commander
December - Kauto Star

Cover - Yeats

Last edited:
Jan; Chomba Womba
Feb; Kauto Star
Mar; Master Minded
Apr; Comply Or Die
May; Natagora
Jun; Yeats
Jul; Henrythenavigator
Aug;Duke Of Marmalade
Sep; Ravens Pass
Oct; New Approach
Nov; Madison Du Berlais
Dec; Binocular
Cover; Bay Hawk

I tried last year and failed miserably and my head is just blank. UG might skip jan altogether though by now ....

Jan: Knowhere
Feb: Gungadu
March: Denman
April: Comply or Die
May: Henrythenavigator
July: Duke of Marmalade
August: Halfway to Heaven
September: Raven's Pass
October: Zarkava
November: Imperial Commander
December: Kauto Star

Cover: Denman v Kauto Star (Gold Cup):<3:

Jan: Neptune Collonges
Feb: Denman
Mar: Master Minded
Apr: Voy Por Ustedes
May: Henrythenavegator
Jun: New Approach
Jul: Montmartre
Aug: Duke Of Marmalde
Sep: Ravens Pass
Oct: Crowded House
Nov: Overdose
Dec: Kauto Star

Cover : Master Minded or Overdose

Neptunes Collonges
Katchit
Denman
Comply or die
Henrythenavigator
Look here
Marchand dor
Yeats
Raven´s Pass
New Approach
Imperial commander
Kauto star

Cover: Duke Of Marmalade

The results have been counted and verified.

Jan ; AN ACCORDION
Feb ; NOLAND
Mar ; DENMAN
Apr ; BINOCULAR
May ; HENRYTHENAVIGATOR
Jun ; YEATS
Jul ; RAINBOW VIEW
Aug ; DUKE OF MARMALADE
Sep ; CONDUIT
Oct ; CROWDED HOUSE
Nov ; IMPERIAL COMMANDER
Dec ; MASTER MINDED
Cover ; Sorry... A point to point scene :D

The winner is ;

EURONYMOUS

After grizzling last year and storming off due to a lack of Finsceal Beo, he has returned triumphant.

Thanks all for taking part.

Back