Cancer Charities

trackside528

At the Start
Been meaning to make a donation to a cancer charity for a while now but never got around to doing it. Lost a close friend, my granddad and an uncle in the space of a year about three years back. Being in the middle of university at the time I really wasn't in a position to be donating to any charity but always had it in the back of my mind that I would do it when I was able to.

The obvious one I've had in mind for a while is the Irish Cancer Society but I'm open to suggestions from others as I haven't got around to doing much research yet. Would like to get a sense of where the money is going as well. Doesn't have to be an Irish charity by any means. All suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
I'll just pop this up for you trackside. You can have a browse on their website at your leisure. My father spent a few weeks there before he lost his battle with the big C. I have done some work for them in the past and feel the money is going towards helping. Any money towards any cancer charity is well worth it IMO.

http://www.wphcancercharity.org.uk/home.aspx

I don't know about cancer charities in Ireland, but in England the ones who seem to help hands on the most are the hospice ones like Marie Curie and Macmillan Nurses. You must have an equivalent? The people who work for them do extra hours on pretty poor pay and really give of themselves to those in need and their families. I know we are not going to cure cancer through their efforts but they do make many lives easier at the end.

I'm a bit suspicious of many of the research companies because I think they ought to be finding out what causes it and prevention instead of weirder and harsher treatments for the disease.

Well done, Isi - I was going to suggest a local hospice instead of the big organisations, most of which have millions, and Lottery grants to boost their finances. We have a super hospice here and there is also the likelihood, Tracks, that there is a children's hospice where terminally ill kiddies spend their last days in comfortable rooms, where parents and friends can also visit. John Dunlop (the trainer) is a patron and big supporter of our best known, the Chestnut Tree Children's Hospice, and the proceeds go to keeping it open and also giving the little ones some nice days out with parents before the inevitable. There was the most moving documentary made about them a few years back, showing one little boy with cancer spending his last month or two there. The care was phenomenal, and the parents could be with him right up to the last breath. The little lad was then left with the parents to grieve over him for some time in his own room (needless to say, I was helpless with tears by then), but it was a wonderful way for them to be able to say goodbye. You could give them some money, or ring them up to see what item they might like to have (your funds permitting, of course) and present that to them in memory of your loved ones lost to the awful disease.

Tracks, more 'at home', there is 'Touched By Cancer', an organisation formed to help the Oncology Ward at Cork University Hospital, if that's helpful.

I know the charity you mention too Kri, very good one. When I sued to raise funds for the Moorcroft Racehorse Centre we also gave half of our takings to the cancer hospice.

It is great that these places exist and are run by such devoted dedicated people, I know there are several dotted about Britian and Ireland. There is one in Guildford that Bruce Foxton of The Jam supports as his wife was a Director there until her death from cancer last year.

Dreaded disease touches us all one way or another.

Hope you find one you like the look of to pass your donation to Tracks. Would actually appreciate it if you'd let us know what you decide as always good to know which charities are worthy of our donations, however small.

Well done, Ising. There are often fund-raisers from the hospice at Fontwell Park, as it's so nearby. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child of any age, but one taken so cruelly when very young must be impossible to come to terms with. For many bereaved parents, the continuing friendship and support of the hospice helps.

Back