Osana 8/1
Sublimity 10/1
Captain Cee Bee 10/1
Franchoek 20/1
Binocular 16/1
Ashkazar 25/1

Katchit has no chance..... :shy:

Have to ask serious questions about the horse's preparation

How can you come out of a CH losing it with more respect than you got for winning it!!!

The horse is clearly very fragile and takes almost no racing
So to get fourth - or even to get there at all - is probably a huge achievement

Was it my imagination, was that a slowly run/ tactical affair today? I'm poor race reader, but if it was run a true pace for those competing, then I'd expect the 2009 winner to come from elsewhere. That is to say, not from the class of 2008, (with the possible exception of Sizing Europe) who clearly went wrong when looking most like the winner. Shades of Hors Loi La win in that respect without it seems the tragic outcome. Not making excuses for SE etc (I laid him for a place) so I wouldn't be in his camp, but the Supreme was run in a not inconsiderable quicker time.

Now this shouldn't happen all things being equal, but occasionally it does. When it does, it's usually the case that the Champion was run slowly. I'm assuming that's happened again? The last time it happened was 1999 when they slowed it up to try catch Istabraq out (to no avail) he had a change of gear too.

Opinions welcome, otherwise I find myself thinking that one of the novice events is the most likely source for next years winner.

poor time today...wouldn't have any of those listed on my mind to win next year...the hurdle crown is ripe for a decent one to come along and totally dominate for a few years

Yes but the reason the pace was set as it was is that the acknowledged front runner in the race was also one of the most fancied horses. *His* jockey dictated the pace; and Tom Scu is still not very experienced at top level - it was a huge responsibility. He did brilliantly imo to leave his horse with enough to get up the hill - they were beaten only by a very determined horse

I don't think you can crab the time too much - given the ground it was important above all to conserve stamina for an effort at the finish. On better ground he would have stretched them a lot further as it would have suited Osana that much better. Don't forget it was Sizing he really feared - who has a lot of stamina *and* speed. Tactics have to take account of the ground and the participants 'on the day'

Back