Truncheon

Conditional
Looking like a soft to heavy surface again with quite a bit of rain forecast

Wouldn't be surprised if 3 of last years winners went in again

Trueshan
Kinross
Bay Bridge

QEII looks the race of the day, i fancy Nashwa to beat Paddington and Tahiyra

I think Sumo Sam is overpriced in the Fillies and mares, didn't like the quicker ground last time and will get her ground here

Oh

And it's Frankies last appearance on a British racecourse:D

Like the Sumo Sam angle with the likely ground

I have Nashwa and King of Steel in a trixie rollover (Cumberland Lodge winner I can't be bothered spelling) and have Bay Bridge ante-post in the Champion. I fell that race and the fillies and mares look the ones to look at as I don't like the front of the market in either. Free Wind and Time Lock are big fat meh's on soft ground, Mostahdaf will not like the ground either and I really don't understand the fuss with Horizon Dore who as far as I can tell has only beaten group 3 horses.

Won't commit until I've seen the decs but intrigued to see if they'll risk Shaquille in what could be a proper 6f test.

As per what I said on the ante post thread a few weeks ago, still feel there's a chance Gosden might send Nashwa to the Champion.

I decided against backing her ante for the Champion though. I just haven't got the balls anymore.

Last edited:
Speaking of Gosden, I do think Sweet Memories is bettable at 12s for the Fillies race. I'm also tempted by Coltrane at 7s for the boat race.

I took 12s about Big Rock in the QE II this morning as the race will be run on the straight track which could be riding heavy whereas the round course races have the option of switching to the inner course which will see significantly better ground.

Heavy ground and I reckon Nashwa goes for the Champion and Tahiyra misses the meeting altogether.

Heavy ground and Nashwa won't stay the CS trip. Big Rock is a tidy back to lay proposition at those odds - making all very hard on the straight track.

What should be a great day's racing and maybe even punting could end up spoiled by the elements.

Yes, if the storm is anything like forecast it’s going to be a real war of attrition for them. Not much point in zeroing in on anything until we know what it’s like on the day.

Heavy ground and Nashwa won't stay the CS trip. Big Rock is a tidy back to lay proposition at those odds - making all very hard on the straight track.

Completely agree but Stickels has said if the outer round course (on which the Champion stakes is due to be run) is riding heavy they will switch to the inner round course, which is riding good / good to soft.

The don't have the luxury of switching the straight track races though so the QE II can't be moved and is likely to be run on heavy.

Meaning Gosden has a decision; either run Nashwa on heavy ground over a mile or on good-soft over 10f. He's blamed bottomless ground on her performances a few times in the past so there has to be a good chance he'll go for the better ground and prize money.

Also agree about Big Rock but 3 places 12/1 is decent if the ground sees a few NRs

Been very breezy here with bright sunshine all day here so may take the deluge better than could be expected. My 3 times a year racing friend who's supposed to be coming, aside from not feeling well this week, has already picked her spot at a bar. Told her she'll be on her own most of the day!

If there was to be a shock it could come in the shape of the 2000 guineas winner Chaldean
We can forget France and if it comes up soft he'll be right at home while others may not be

If there was to be a shock it could come in the shape of the 2000 guineas winner Chaldean
We can forget France and if it comes up soft he'll be right at home while others may not be
Reckon he should stay at home;if he wins I'll take up skate-boarding.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting,but BHA have a g/s reading of 6.9 for the straight course this morning and the Beeb are forecasting light rain today/tomorrow.
Does anyone have a better fix?

It'll be interesting to see how Bay Bridge travels through his race this time. I'm hoping for no odd head movements or over keeness. He must have a strong chance. King Of Steel for the reverse forecast.

The interesting thing about a race card like this, is you can back some very good horses at fairly big prices, because the calibre of the opposition is pretty strong. I'm looking forward to my each way lucky 63!

Last edited:
Tahiyra should be okay on soft ground shouldn't she?

She won a group one on it last season in Ireland and was obviously second on soft pulling 7 lengths clear of the third with Mawj in the 1000 Guineas.

She looks the bet to me in this race now. If I'm lucky I may get 5s on the day! Especially if the money continues for Nashwa.

Last edited:
I think Nashwa is better. Her runs at York and Leop were high class from not the best of positions and she was impressive on soft ground in the Falmouth. That said I am more afraid of Tahiyra than Paddington.

I've just gone through the card and I have to say it leaves me pretty underwhelmed.

The majority of that feeling is down to the prospect of deep ground.

I would want to ask why the inner track is so much less soft that the scheduled one. Has one been watered and the other not? If so, surely there's a lesson there: that given the time of year it would be better not to water at all and only do so if there is no prospect of rain nearer the time?

Back