Channel 4 - Inside Natures Giants

I thought from the trailer that the CGI locomotive sequences were going to be pretty poor, but they weren't too bad, the section showing how the guts act as pistons to push the lungs forward as the horse breathes out, and then retract towards the tail to suck air in, were very impressive indeed. The size of the anatomised 4 y.o.'s heart was compared to a cow's, which looked about one-third the size, or, in the words of one anatomist, "couch potato heart versus athlete's".

Not being privy to the innards of a horse before, I had no idea of the truly massive size of the lungs. For those who missed it, they fill the whole rib cage cavity right back to behind the saddle - they are the most enormous pair of bellows and respiration takes place at a fantastically rapid rate at the gallop.

The spleen's use as a 'self-doping' mechanism during speed was interesting, too - this organ being the size of a door mat. In fact, when the intestines were brought out, they looked absolutely collosal. Given the finely exquisite tuning of the legs' tendons and ligaments, the insides are indeed gigantic. I'd thought 'Nature's giants' a bit of a misnomer for a horse, versus an elephant or hippo, but not after I'd seen what the animal's sleek outer contained!

There were some excellent shots of YEATS winning by miles at Ascot, and then an extremely frisky and aroused YEATS on his way to the bonking salon, where a passive mare awaited him. He positively bounced into the box, cresty and tail a-swish, did the business as professionally as he raced, looked immensely pleased with his few pushes, while the mare looked as if she was thinking up her weekly shopping list.

Good filmage of PHAR LAP, alive and winning, and then discussed after the necropsy revealed his double-size heart, which must've been the size of an armchair, plus ECLIPSE's skeleton in the Racing Museum, Newmarket.

All round, very interesting and informative.

Loved that film of the soft palate, Sheikh. I had no idea what kind of apparatus showed that - brilliant invention. And how quickly the palate flapped, and how seriously it impeded the work of the larynx - just a tiny little gap left at the top through which horsey tried to breathe. Now we know what the problem actually looks like.

Loved that film of the soft palate, Sheikh. I had no idea what kind of apparatus showed that - brilliant invention. And how quickly the palate flapped, and how seriously it impeded the work of the larynx - just a tiny little gap left at the top through which horsey tried to breathe. Now we know what the problem actually looks like.

exactly, from no problem what so ever to big problem instantly.
I'll definitely be more sympathetic the next time one falls out the back of the tele.

I thought from the trailer that the CGI locomotive sequences were going to be pretty poor, but they weren't too bad, the section showing how the guts act as pistons to push the lungs forward as the horse breathes out, and then retract towards the tail to suck air in, were very impressive indeed. The size of the anatomised 4 y.o.'s heart was compared to a cow's, which looked about one-third the size, or, in the words of one anatomist, "couch potato heart versus athlete's".

Not being privy to the innards of a horse before, I had no idea of the truly massive size of the lungs. For those who missed it, they fill the whole rib cage cavity right back to behind the saddle - they are the most enormous pair of bellows and respiration takes place at a fantastically rapid rate at the gallop.

The spleen's use as a 'self-doping' mechanism during speed was interesting, too - this organ being the size of a door mat. In fact, when the intestines were brought out, they looked absolutely collosal. Given the finely exquisite tuning of the legs' tendons and ligaments, the insides are indeed gigantic. I'd thought 'Nature's giants' a bit of a misnomer for a horse, versus an elephant or hippo, but not after I'd seen what the animal's sleek outer contained!

There were some excellent shots of YEATS winning by miles at Ascot, and then an extremely frisky and aroused YEATS on his way to the bonking salon, where a passive mare awaited him. He positively bounced into the box, cresty and tail a-swish, did the business as professionally as he raced, looked immensely pleased with his few pushes, while the mare looked as if she was thinking up her weekly shopping list.

Good filmage of PHAR LAP, alive and winning, and then discussed after the necropsy revealed his double-size heart, which must've been the size of an armchair, plus ECLIPSE's skeleton in the Racing Museum, Newmarket.

All round, very interesting and informative.

I really would like to see this. Anyone know where I could get a copy. And I have to say Kri with the greatest respect ,you do sound as if you enjoyed the copulation sequence. Like to have taken your pulse at the time

Well, Roddy, as an ancient crone, that's the most action I'm going to see 'til doomsday. We must take our fun as it's offered!

Back