Charlie Hall

davidjohnson

At the Start
Given the success of a similar type of thread last week where I nailed the Old Roan Chase, I thought I'f give you all the benefit of my wisdom for this race. Can anyone tell me why The Tother One isn't 2/1?

We established last week that Tom George can't train steeplechasers so Nacarat is the first one off the list, particularly as this race isn't being run at Kempton. He, Ollie Magern and Knockara Beau will ensure the race is run at a sound gallop and that will play to The Tother One's strengths. Okay The Tother One is on his way to squigglesville but I think fresh could be the time to catch him and he ran well on his reappearance last year. Favoured by the race conditions without a penalty and Nicholls has suggested he's 100% fit.

Not sure Barber Shop will be willing enough in the finish. Whether it's stamina or guts he usually finds a couple too good and suspect will be the same again.

Come on folks, shoot me down in flames once more.

For me he is a serious place lay.In my view when a horse has the habit of hitting a flat spot it tends to get worse with age.I would love to be laying it and trading out in running but unfortunately I am doing my driving test when the race is on.

I would rather back Deep Purple @ 9/2 giving weight that The Tother One @ 4/1. 4/1 he is a shocking price for a brute of a horse.

Deep Purple doesn't have any form. The race fell into his lap last year, as did the Peterborough. Since then he's bled twice, though to be fair I can't crab his Ryanair effort other than it shows how good he is. SOme might laugh at me querying a C&D winner's stamina but given the circumstances of last year's win I wouldn't take it as Gospel and he's unraced at 3m+ otherwise.

I think this is wide open and I'm tempted for a few quid each way on Calgary Bay at 14/1 with Laddies, he might be a little short of top class but the same could probably be said for all the others too and with a run under his belt he could strip fitter than some of the others.

Last edited:
Race conditions surely make this impossible for Deep Purple. Rag apart, I'd expect the three on 11-0 to have this between them.

Strong pace here

discard front runners:

deep purple
ollie magern
nacarat
knockara beau

that leaves

calgary bay - not convincing me
barbers shop - possible - tried to pick holes in this one - couldn't
thats rhythm - outclassed
the tother one - too many mistakes

BARBERS SHOP wins
:D

I respect Tother One's chances, but Knockara Beau is a cracking EW bet IMO. The rest do not worry me too much. He had a hard season last year but still ran well in the RSA and his form with Wierd Al is most encouraging in this company.
If he can avoid some of the mistakes that put him on the back foot a few times last season I can see him placed at least.

Calgary Bay matched at exactly 3.0 in running for a grand. Not sure about what percentage of the race The Tother One was off the bridle but I am sure there will be no change in the Gold Cup market!

I'm actually kicking myself for trying to be too clever.

I really fancied Nacarat for last year's King George and, knowing his trainer was specifically targeted that race, wasn't at all put off by his two ordinary runs beforehand.

I had a huge each way bet on him at 25-1 and genuinely believe he emerged as clear second best on the day. Other than Kauto Star, he ran the whole field ragged before paying a high price for trying (in vain) to draw the sting out of the winner. It goes without saying I groaned in agony when Madison Du Berlais plodded past him into third but, luckily, I'm over it now!

Anyway, I was planning to back him for this year's King George but was convinced he wouldn't be fully wound up today. I was hoping he would finish fourth or fifth under a tender ride then, as the gullible bookies nudged him out to 33s for Kempton, I was going to wade in.

Little did I know that Tom George had the horse fit for today and now I've missed the King George value boat. Bugger.

Back