Champion Hurdle
Brain Power

Queen Mother
Altior

Stayers
Nicholls Canyon

Gold Cup
Thistlecrack

Is Might Bite less likely to veer right in a Gold Cup given that the old course run in is on the inside of the new course. There is a rail he could dive to but if the jockey stays on the rail it might not be in his vision. Plus they could surely fit him with a device that obscures that part of his vision.

Is Might Bite less likely to veer right in a Gold Cup given that the old course run in is on the inside of the new course. There is a rail he could dive to but if the jockey stays on the rail it might not be in his vision. Plus they could surely fit him with a device that obscures that part of his vision.

I made the same point to friends at the course on Thursday, think the new course over fences may help a tad.

Champion Hurdle Faugheen
Gold Cup Thistlecrack
QMCC Douvan
Mares Hurdle Annie Power

only the injured need apply

Last edited:
I'd be amazed if we see Annie Power on a racecourse again given they appear to have a very similar replacement in Let's Dance - who by the way wins the Mares' next year so fill yer boots at the 5's on offer.

Sizing John would have much more scope in him than most past Gold Cup winners IMHO as he's young and lightly raced for a Gold Cup winner and has only raced twice over 3m or more. He'd by my choice to follow up at this stage.

Similar sentiments apply to Buveur D'air too. They've blown his novice chase status so I can't see them throwing him straight back over fences when apparent dangers look thin on the ground in the 2m hurdling department. I don't think the Supreme form will hold up so I suppose it depends what route Defi Du Seuil takes next year.

Cause of Causes 10/1 for a repeat seems good value.

Gold Cup - Our Duke 33/1
Stayers - Nichols Canyon 8/1
Champion Hurdle - Melon 20/1
Arkle - Sutton place

I think recency bias is needed for saying Sizing John would follow-up on this. This was a very slowly run GC and I can't see how they'll allow that again from those riding the proper stayers. If Coneygree comes back in good form, Sizing John won't last that relentless gallop. From a rating pov, this was the worst GC since Lord Windermere's.

I'd prefer to take the chance on Sizing John having scope for improvement - coupled with the fact he may not even need it - than continously waiting on horses to return from in injury in the same form they were three years earlier.

Thats true and probably more profitable by not following old favourites which may not even make it for the festival but in regards to SJ I don't think he'll get the same slow gallop next year to repeat the feat.

I thought it was a decent gallop and I doubt if they had gone faster it would have changed much other than thsose making it finishing further behind Sizing John who stays all day

Only the Champion Hurdle and the Gold Cup were run at times that had the word Fast next to their winning times over the entire meeting including God Cup day

If the Gold Cup was run at a slow pace the rest of the races must have been walking round

Wasn't a decent gallop. Look at how many turning in.
Can only assume the in running punters would have been all over the winner.

Back