Cheltenham and other meets

Very glad we cancelled my gig for Folkstone today - it looked cold enough, and then it started raining! What a lucky escape.

Finger's crossed!

Officials at Sandown are optimistic the covers will protect the course from the forecast frost ahead of the Tolworth Hurdle meeting.

Staff at the Esher track worked throughout the day and into the evening to ensure the ground was protected, and a precautionary inspection will be held at 8am.

"We've been perfectly raceable all day, so we are covering up raceable ground. We have to be optimistic with the level of covers we have in place that we should be OK," said clerk of the course Andrew Cooper.

"Putting down the covers is a big task at this place. It's a big old track with different widths and not easy to get to in certain areas.

"We'll see what the night has done to us. We hope to give the thumbs up, but we are expecting a sharp frost between minus one and minus four. We got as high as plus five in the day, so we've got every chance. Hopefully the covers will do their job."

The only other jumps fixture is at Wincanton, where a precautionary inspection is planned for 8.30am.

Clerk of the course Barry Johnson said: "We are raceable, but the one downside is that it could get to as low as minus three degrees overnight. We will give it our best shot at getting the meeting on."

Staff at Plumpton have put down covers ahead of Sunday's programme featuring the Sky Bet Sussex National, and clerk of the course Mark Cornford said: "I've been give a minus three frost for Saturday night, but that shouldn't do us any harm with the covers down."

Taunton are pinning their hopes on a forecast thaw to allow their meeting on Monday to go ahead and an inspection has been called for 9am on Sunday.

"We're facing temperatures overnight of minus three and minus four, but we have heard there may be a thaw coming in on Sunday," said racecourse secretary Bob Young. "If that's the case we hope to be OK."

Covers or no covers, Sandown must be in doubt. It is -5.5 outside here, even now. I'm around an hour away from Sandown but I can't see it being much different there. Wincanton didn't make it.

Back