Cheltenham: Day 1

SteveM

At the Start
2011 Cheltenham Festival – Notes:

DAY 1 March 15, 2011

Supreme Novices’ Hurdle Grade 1 (4yo+) 2m ½f
5yos or 6yos tend to do best in this (winning 17 out of the past 20 renewals). I went for Dunguib (7yo) to win last year, but Menorah (5yo) and Get Me Out Of Here (6yo) – my second and third choices for the race – finished in front of him.
The Irish tend to do well in this (seven of the last 10 winners). Lightly raced horses excel with eight of the past 19 winners running no more than twice over hurdles beforehand.
Last year’s Bumper winner Cue Card looks a worthy favourite to take this year’s opener. Connections had been considering going for the Champion Hurdle.

Shortlist:
Cue Card 5
Zaidpour 5
Sprinter Sacre 5
Spirit Son 5
Hidden Universe 5
Recession Proof 5
Gibb River 5
Dunraven Storm 6
Al Ferof 6

Selections: 1) Cue Card 2) Spirit Son 3) Sprinter Sacre

Arkle Challenge Trophy Chase Grade 1 (5yo+) 2m
6yos and 7yos do well (winning 12 of the last 20 renewals), but an 8yo won last time. 5yos no longer have the 5lb allowance they used to receive so are unlikely to do as well as in the past. Big priced horses tend not to do well, 8/1 or less is a good guide (6/1 last year), but only three actual favourites (Remittance Man, Klairon Davis and Azertyuiop) have won in the past 20 renewals. Highly rated ex-hurdlers and French-breds do well.
Finian’s Rainbow has looked classy, but his jumping may be his flaw. Slight preference for Medermit.

Shortlist:
Finian’s Rainbow 8
Realt Dubh 7
Ghizao 7
Medermit 7
Captain Chris 7

Selections: 1) Medermit 2) Finian’s Rainbow 3) Captain Chris

Spinal Research Handicap Chase Grade 3 (5yo+) 3m ½f

Shortlist:

Reve de Sivola 6
Bensalem 8
Sunnyhillboy 8
Great Endeavour 7

Selections: 1) Great Endeavour 2) Sunnyhillboy 3) Reve de Sivola 4) Bensalem

Champion Hurdle Grade 1 (4yo+) 2m ½f
Serious contenders should have won, or nearly won, their last race prior to the Champion and be the right side of eight, rather than older (two of the past 20 winners were 9). Those that have won or been placed at the Festival before do well.
Now that Binocular won’t take part due to a monumental cock up, it should be between Menorah and Peddler’s Cross, the emerging 6yos. Hurricane Fly is progressing well but may not be up to matching this pair despite repeatedly beating Solwhit at home.

Shortlist:
Menorah 6
Peddler’s Cross 6
Hurricane Fly 7
Khyber Kim 9
Dunguib 8
Oscar Whisky 6

Selections: 1) Menorah 2) Peddler’s Cross 3) Khyber Kim 4) Hurricane Fly

Last edited:
I like Spirit Son for the Supreme novices so going to have a few quid on that, but taking advantage of the money back offer at Paddy Power just in case Cue Card wins :)

Thanks for the excellent write up's Steve

Back