Cheltenham Day 3

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Normally seen as the quitest day but this is my biggest punting day.

Punchestowns with cover on Big Bucks in the World Hurdle (I`m very much against the favourite here.)

Voy Por Ustedes ante-post in the Ryanair. Banker of the meeting.

I'm certainly looking forward to it a lot. I didn't go today as I'm too old to do four days running LOL
Sorry to miss seeing Cooldine and Well Chief - tho I've seen the latter in the flesh at Newbury - but imo today was the least interesting of the four days, given MM was such a sho-in (and I saw him do it lto at Ascot)

Today looks like being quieter but I fancy one or two of these quite strongly – enough to go in double strength.

The winner of this is usually miles ahead of its OR yet this season the RPRs have the top rated just 6lbs ahead, which my own ratings largely reflect. The chances are something is going to emerge as being well hidden despite being apparently exposed. I can’t get a proper handle on the Irish novices but I have Kia Kaha as a ‘++’ so that one gets the nod. There’s a line of form suggesting Astarador might be thrown in but the line is very tenuous.

As with most of the hurdlers, the handicapper seems well on top of these but Buena Vista and Blue Shark strike me as well handicapped and I’ve backed both. Ballydub’s claimer is dong well and his allowance might be enough for the horse to defy another recent hike. He’s a danger.

I can’t back Voy Por Ustedes at the price and I was all set to bet Our Vic again until I noticed Imperial Commander was second favourite. This one needs to find a fair bit but I wouldn’t be surprised if he found it, so impressive was he in the autumn. No bet.

Kasbah Bliss looked the part last time but Punchestowns wasn’t fully wound up when he posted a seasonal best on his most recent run. I’m pretty confident he can turn the favourite over.

I’ve been waiting for Three Mirrors for a race like this all season. I thought he was very tenderly ridden when not beaten badly behind Imperial Commander and his next race was that strange affair won by Stan. His most recent run was back over shorter and it’s been in my mind that they’ve had a major target as the plan all season. This simply has to be it.

Not my kind of race. I’d rather use my stake money to go in stronger on others I fancy.

I'm still not convinced Tranquil Sea is a thorough stayer, and he has been a disappointing horse this year after promising a lot but if you could find credible excuses for his most recent outings then I think he has a big shout in the first........it's safe enough to say that the Irish novices are a good bunch this year - Harrington reckoned Horner Woods was a certainty for this but got balloted out.

Tranquil Sea is interesting, but other than that I think its a day to play safe.

Kasbah Bliss is a good thing though.

Last edited:
Tranquil Sea is the one that interests me in the opener. In off a decent weight and not without a chance. Can be forgiven for his run in Fairyhouse after scoping badly, that leaves him coming 5th behind some very useful types in the PJ Moriarity in conditions he won't have relished. He should improve with the better ground tomorrow.

Four handicaps, a stayers and the least prestigious flagship race. Weak day for me. Mind you after the Gold Cup, tomorrow is pretty desperate too.

They're spreading this fodder a bit thin for it to be a "championship" for me.

I'll be laying Kasbah Bliss & Voy Por tomorrow to pay for my win bets in both races, both are way too short and don't have enough in hand to warrant their respective odds.

good luck with your bets:thumbsup:

Am willing to take a chance on the Kalahari King form in the first with Astrodore, tying up in multiples with Beuna Vista, Three Mirrors & Alexander The Great.

As far as the 2 big races go VPU for me but a no bet race and against the Fav in the stayers hurdle, if I were to predict the spread of threads on the betfair forum after the race about the ride the jockey gives it, I'd go 7-10......

Last edited:
Kasbah Bliss is my bet of the meeting. I have him tyed up in so many bets that i will be devastated if he loses. I think he has a ton in hand on these and will win easily. I dont think Punchestowns jumps well enough, and do feel that he may be worth place laying.

Mobaasheer might well run into a place also as an outside bet.

I have backed Kia Kaha and Tranquil Sea in the first, small stakes, i couldnt split them.

Voy Pur Ustedes is involved in multiples and cross bets with Kasbah Bliss so i will be a happy bunny if he wins too. I do feel he is well clear of the rest, i like the way Imperial Commander runs, but i feel he may be done for pace. Tidal bay is a classy horse on his day,one for the rev f/c with Voy Pur, but i cant get some of his jumping mistakes out of my head. Still, this time last year i had him as my bet of the festival,and i do feel there has been excuses so far this year.

Perhaps the bet of the day at a price is Perce Rock. I think the world of this horse, have done for a long time. Didnt have the best of luck jumping wise, taking some careless falls rather than crashing through fences. Ran 3rd or 4th in the champion bumper previously here, has come into form this last few months, winning a few prep races nicely. I think the horse is the bet of the day bar Kasbah.

Best of luck to all punting.

Indeed. Seems like a nice lad as well. Meant to back him for the National last month, gutted I've now missed the price.

Scrap that, just checked my Betfair account and I actually did back him @ 26. Hah, i don't know where my head is these days. :blink:

Suited me - I didn't lay them but backed against KB with the RFCT on the other two and did the RFCT in the Ryanair. Well pleased

Back